L35 clutch question

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
An old friend (he is old)helped his nephew split his tractor to repair an oil leak. Clutch appeared to be in good condition so it was left untouched. Now they have slipped it back together and the clutch seems to have no free play. My old friend is experienced with all kinds of machinery repairs, but clutch seems odd to him. They had to pry something to get the clutch pedal connected and old guy figures something is off kilter.

So my question is- did they do something wrong or is release bearing intended to run against clutch? My instinct tells me they overlooked something. I need to go take a look for myself.

Any thoughts?
P.s.
Old fart said it was a 135 20 or so years old. I figure its L35 as its 3 cyl and over 20 years old.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Kinda makes me think the throw out bearing is/was in a bind and the pressure they felt while putting it back together may have been them forcing the TB up against the clutch fingers.... Just a guess Tooljunkie.

clark_bailey

Equipment
Kubota L3710, L3600 and Bobcat T190
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
My two cents since I was just had an L apart, the TB slides onto the input shaft, then it has two clips on the fingers of the rod lever pivot, if you don't get the clips in the proper slot the TB will ride in front of the fingers not in correct position, and I surmise would make the clutch foot lever very tight since the TB would be jammed into the PP when the two halves were pushed back together.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That model has clips that keep the clutch fork aligned with the throw out bearing, if they popped the clips off then it is out of alignment.

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Sorry guys,old guy is back,its an L345dt. Im sure theres a difference.
So i went for a look and got the story.
Hydraulic or trans oil leak was the reason for splitting.

Split tractor, and as they were seperating forgot clutch linkage. So pulled pin. Machine is sort of new to him and never really paid attention to clutch free play. So its likely problem existed before splitting. Hes going to shorten rod 1/4" so it will have free play and test tractor.
He may be joining the forum so there will be more questions. Wiring next.
Thanks guys.

Last edited: