L345DT Low Engine Oil Pressure

Equipment
L345DT
Nov 6, 2022
Hampton Twsp, NJ
The machine has about 1,200 hrs and just recently the low oil pressure indicator intermittently lights up at low RPM and idle. The engine has plenty of oil. Sometimes the light never turns on after startup and then other times it turns on even at 1000 rpm. Thinking it's not the oil pump but rather the sensor, I would like to replace the idiot light with an oil pressures gauge. Question: does anyone have experience with this job, where would I connect it to the engine, what gouge could I get, and where would it mount on the tractor? Thanks.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The sensor should be obvious on the motor since it probably the only one on the engine and there’s not much blocking the engine. I suggest you try to get a new one from the dealer and figure out exactly what thread is in the block. Then you can install a short nipple and then a Tee and install the new sensor on one leg and then the mechanical sensor on the other. I think you will have to get the new gauge for a Japanese or European car to get the same thread. I assume it is probably NOT NPT in the block or on the existing sensor.

Probably mounting the gauge on top of the dash in a bracket or through the flat dashboard if there is room. Search for some examples since I have seen many on this site.

If the problem still exists I think that you may have a problem with the camshaft plug which is a bigger problem to repair.

Reactions: 1 users

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
The oil pressure sending unit is located on the left side just above the starter. The thread size is 1/8 inch British pipe. You should have no problem finding an adapter at the auto parts store as this is what all Japanese cars use. As Russell stated the common problem with these tractors was the cam plug coming out. I would not run the tractor till you verified there is not a problem. It only takes about 7 lb of oil pressure to shut the light off.

Reactions: 3 users

Equipment
L345DT
Nov 6, 2022
Hampton Twsp, NJ
The sensor should be obvious on the motor since it probably the only one on the engine and there’s not much blocking the engine. I suggest you try to get a new one from the dealer and figure out exactly what thread is in the block. Then you can install a short nipple and then a Tee and install the new sensor on one leg and then the mechanical sensor on the other. I think you will have to get the new gauge for a Japanese or European car to get the same thread. I assume it is probably NOT NPT in the block or on the existing sensor.

Probably mounting the gauge on top of the dash in a bracket or through the flat dashboard if there is room. Search for some examples since I have seen many on this site.

If the problem still exists I think that you may have a problem with the camshaft plug which is a bigger problem to repair
The oil pressure sending unit is located on the left side just above the starter. The thread size is 1/8 inch British pipe. You should have no problem finding an adapter at the auto parts store as this is what all Japanese cars use. As Russell stated the common problem with these tractors was the cam plug coming out. I would not run the tractor till you verified there is not a problem. It only takes about 7 lb of oil pressure to shut the light off.

Equipment
L345DT
Nov 6, 2022
Hampton Twsp, NJ
My first step will be to purchase and hook up a gauge to verify the pressure. If low then I'll tackle the cam plug, otherwise it's just a matter of mounting the gauge. Thanks for both responses - very helpful - and I'll post how this turns out.

Reactions: 1 users

Equipment
L345DT
Nov 6, 2022
Hampton Twsp, NJ
Received a Bosch gauge today from Prime, temp hooked it up and pressure at idle was 65psi!! At higher rpm 100psi was observed. Kept the machine running for .5 hr to be certain oil at working temperature an still good pressure.

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Yep. Sensors are fine, but they do fail. A mechanical gauge doesn't cost a lot, and can save a ton of time,, money, and frustration.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Received a Bosch gauge today from Prime, temp hooked it up and pressure at idle was 65psi!! At higher rpm 100psi was observed. Kept the machine running for .5 hr to be certain oil at working temperature an still good pressure.
I would say your good to go then! 😁

Thatoneguy

Equipment
Kubota b7200
May 20, 2022
Southern California
75007, could you post a few pictures of what you did to add the oil pressure and temp guage? Im not a fan of only having indicator lights, gauges are very helpful to have.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd still question the numbers you're reading. What you report seems high for that engine.

Here's what the service manual says for an L245, as a guideline. The service manual indicates the pressure should climb to 40 - 50 psi as the speed gets up to 2800 rpm.

Last edited: