L345 not moving in high gear range

Dynexmidnight

Equipment
L345DT
Aug 17, 2022
Mississippi
Ive got a kubota l345DT 4x4 that will go into low range perfectly and work all day. The second I put it into high range it’ll move about an inch then stop. Tractor has around 800ish hours on it. I’m new to the site and kubotas. Help would be muchly appreciated. High range did work till I fired it up today to take to my house and all of a sudden high pretty much stopped working.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The L345 is not a gray market tractor.

In the low range does it move well in even the highest gear?

I suspect a slipping clutch or that you are not getting it into the high range well.

Does it move at all in high range? Does it make any noise when you let the clutch out?

Dynexmidnight

Equipment
L345DT
Aug 17, 2022
Mississippi
The L345 is not a gray market tractor.

In the low range does it move well in even the highest gear?

I suspect a slipping clutch or that you are not getting it into the high range well.

Does it move at all in high range? Does it make any noise when you let the clutch out?
It moves perfect in low and it doesn’t make any noise at all in high, it’ll move an inch or 2 then stop. I could have sworn that the l345 I have is grey market because all the writing on it is Japanese.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It moves perfect in low and it doesn’t make any noise at all in high, it’ll move an inch or 2 then stop. I could have sworn that the l345 I have is grey market because all the writing on it is Japanese.
Why do you think it is a L345?

Are you positive that you are getting it completely? On my L185 the lever is on the left side of the transmission case and pushing it down moves out of low into a neutral position then into high range. The neutral position is not distinct or marked really. I have never tried to be in that position and see if the tractor moved but I assume it would not do anything. I occasionally have to use a gentle push with my foot to get it into high just because it is awkward to do it with my left hand.

Since it moves well in low I would not be concerned with the clutch but you can check the free play in the clutch pedal before you start to get much resistance. It is normally an inch or two.

I suspect it is just not getting into high and could be something wrong inside the transmission case. I have also heard that the shaft into the transmission gets rusted and limits the movement so you may need to spray it with a penetrating oil like PB Blaster.

Dynexmidnight

Equipment
L345DT
Aug 17, 2022
Mississippi

Are you positive that you are getting it completely? On my L185 the lever is on the left side of the transmission case and pushing it down moves out of low into a neutral position then into high range. The neutral position is not distinct or marked really. I have never tried to be in that position and see if the tractor moved but I assume it would not do anything. I occasionally have to use a gentle push with my foot to get it into high just because it is awkward to do it with my left hand.

Since it moves well in low I would not be concerned with the clutch but you can check the free play in the clutch pedal before you start to get much resistance. It is normally an inch or two.

I suspect it is just not getting into high and could be something wrong inside the transmission case. I have also heard that the shaft into the transmission gets rusted and limits the movement so you may need to spray it with a penetrating oil like PB Blaster.
I was waiting for you to reply, I actually have 2 high and low range selectors it seems. I have one between my legs and one on the left side of the tractor like you were saying. I moved it up to the highest position and got high range back. Only thing is that I think the clutch is slipping because 4 high won’t go but the rest work perfect. I can stand on the brake now and it’ll stall. I had to find a owners manual to figure that out lol. Like I said I think my tractor is a Japan version because it has two shifters under the dash instead of one, and right between my legs is a high and low shifter along with the one on my left side. My tractor also has a cartridge oil filter instead of the spin on type. Those are the main differences. I can post a picture of it tomorrow and show you.

Dynexmidnight

Equipment
L345DT
Aug 17, 2022
Mississippi

Also to reply on the l345 question, everything I’ve looked at and seen points to it being an l345DT since it’s 4x4. It’s the only thing that I can find that is close to this tractor.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Russell is correct the L345DT is US, are you sure it is not a L3001DT?

Not sure about the 'cartridge vs spin-on' my L1500DT has a spin-on and
the PO who had it for 20+ years did no mods to it?

I just noticed (after 8+ years) this chart does not show
the US equivalent to the L1500 DT version?
I think it is the L225DT.

Grey to US chart.JPG

They look very similar with exception of the hood sides and possibly the exhaust
Screenshot 2022-08-18 223347.jpg

Last edited:

Dynexmidnight

Equipment
L345DT
Aug 17, 2022
Mississippi
Russell is correct the L345DT is US, are you sure it is not a L3001DT?

Not sure about the 'cartridge vs spin-on' my L1500DT has a spin-on and
the PO who had it for 20+ years did no mods to it?

I just noticed (after 8+ years) this chart does not show
the US equivalent to the L1500 DT version?
I think it is the L225DT.

View attachment 85608

They look very similar with exception of the hood sides and possibly the exhaust
View attachment 85611
They do look very similar, I’m not sure what model this one is now lol. It’s got Japanese writing all over it so it may be the 30001dt. All the parts I bought were for a l345DT and they all bolted up fine.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
What type of rear tires do you have?

The Japanese nameplates do indicate that the particular tractor was not intended for the US market. I would assume it is a grey market tractor but there should be a serial number name plate on it that has the model number also. On my L185F it is on the side of the transmission case.

There is usually an equivalent USA model that parts interchange with as you know but you may find a part that will not interchange between the two models.

On the shifters you may have a creeper gear installed on top of the normal transmission case. So that will give you a very low range of speeds. I think you can use it in high range also but not sure about that. In other words you may have a low low, a low, a low high and a high possibility.

The creeper gear was for tilling and trenching where you need to go slower than 1st gear.

But there is a PTO selector on the transmission top also. Is that your third shifter on top of the transmission?

Glad you are making progress.

Dynexmidnight

Equipment
L345DT
Aug 17, 2022
Mississippi

The Japanese nameplates do indicate that the particular tractor was not intended for the US market. I would assume it is a grey market tractor but there should be a serial number name plate on it that has the model number also. On my L185F it is on the side of the transmission case.

There is usually an equivalent USA model that parts interchange with as you know but you may find a part that will not interchange between the two models.

On the shifters you may have a creeper gear installed on top of the normal transmission case. So that will give you a very low range of speeds. I think you can use it in high range also but not sure about that. In other words you may have a low low, a low, a low high and a high possibility.

The creeper gear was for tilling and trenching where you need to go slower than 1st gear.

But there is a PTO selector on the transmission top also. Is that your third shifter on top of the transmission?

This is the pictures I got of it today.
E1BD09B5-EC2F-48DC-98D8-07803F4556D1.jpeg

Attachments

Dynexmidnight

Equipment
L345DT
Aug 17, 2022
Mississippi

Also my tires are Bridgestone 12.4-26

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It does look similar to my L185 in some ways but other parts are way different.

The levers on the left side are different and I only have one lever on the left. the one that bends over the top is similar to my high/low lever but it is shaped differently.

The levers on top of the transmission looks similar to the PTO (left) and gearshift (right). And I think the third lever in not on my tractor but is also not like the creeper gear that I have seen pictures of but I still think that is what it is.

The tires are normal Ag tires while some tires on grey market tractors are rice paddy tires with taller lugs and probably not Bridgestone brand.

Dynexmidnight

Equipment
L345DT
Aug 17, 2022
Mississippi
It does look similar to my L185 in some ways but other parts are way different.

The levers on the left side are different and I only have one lever on the left. the one that bends over the top is similar to my high/low lever but it is shaped differently.

The levers on top of the transmission looks similar to the PTO (left) and gearshift (right). And I think the third lever in not on my tractor but is also not like the creeper gear that I have seen pictures of but I still think that is what it is.

The tires are normal Ag tires while some tires on grey market tractors are rice paddy tires with taller lugs and probably not Bridgestone brand.
So what do you think it is, an l345 or l3001. At this point I’m aiming to the l3001. But honestly they share so much I’ll end up just calling it an l345. I do appreciate the info, I’ve asked around an no one has ever heard of a creeper gear. I like the fact that it has super low lol. My wife has some cosmetic plans for it. A color change is the biggest for her. Thinking about army green bed liner.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I really don’t know but if you can locate the serial number name plate that is riveted onto the transmission case then you will know.

I think it is probably the L3001 due to the Japanese writing you mentioned (only reason)

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
So what do you think it is, an l345 or l3001. At this point I’m aiming to the l3001. But honestly they share so much I’ll end up just calling it an l345. I do appreciate the info, I’ve asked around an no one has ever heard of a creeper gear. I like the fact that it has super low lol. My wife has some cosmetic plans for it. A color change is the biggest for her. Thinking about army green bed liner.

I would also lean towards the L3001, but if you are talking to a Kubota Dealer
IT IS A L345, or they will not sell you parts (generally, almost always speaking).
My local dealer still thinks I have a L175 and a L285, that is what I buy parts for,
for my 'illegal' L1500DT.

Just Sayin

Dynexmidnight

Equipment
L345DT
Aug 17, 2022
Mississippi
I would also lean towards the L3001, but if you are talking to a Kubota Dealer
IT IS A L345, or they will not sell you parts (generally, almost always speaking).
My local dealer still thinks I have a L175 and a L285, that is what I buy parts for,
for my 'illegal' L1500DT.

Just Sayin
My kubot dealer said he’ll sell me parts for mine no matter if it’s grey market or not. He owns the dealership and will make a dollar anyway he can lol.

Dynexmidnight

Equipment
L345DT
Aug 17, 2022
Mississippi
I really don’t know but if you can locate the serial number name plate that is riveted onto the transmission case then you will know.

I think it is probably the L3001 due to the Japanese writing you mentioned (only reason)
I’m pretty sure it’s an l3001 at this point. From what I found it’s the same engine and transmission besides the creeper gear and a few other odds and end peices. There 90% identical I’d say.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd find something to cover the exhaust. You don't want water to get in there, although the older tractors had a hole in the bottom of the exhaust manifold to let moisture escape.

Changing the color will only lower its value to others.

Dynexmidnight

Equipment
L345DT
Aug 17, 2022
Mississippi
I'd find something to cover the exhaust. You don't want water to get in there, although the older tractors had a hole in the bottom of the exhaust manifold to let moisture escape.

Changing the color will only lower its value to others.
I’m not selling it, my wife wanted to change the color so I told her she has a blank canvas. I got a flapper on order for it to cover that. I also have some led pod lights I’m gonna put where the original head lights were. The tractor has to have a good bit of work before it returns to service.