L3400 HST 3-pt lowering speed adjustment

not4hire

Equipment
L3400 HST
Aug 1, 2020
United States
New member, first post...

The 3Pt hitch lowering speed is adjustable on the L3400, there is a knob under the operator's seat. I cannot turn the knob CW or CCW. It is stuck. Currently the lowing speed is FAST, drops like rock off a cliff. I can deal with it by the way I move the lever, a little at a time and it drops in steps, but I really need to adjust this so it drops smoothly. Any possible solutions?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
New member, first post...

The 3Pt hitch lowering speed is adjustable on the L3400, there is a knob under the operator's seat. I cannot turn the knob CW or CCW. It is stuck. Currently the lowing speed is FAST, drops like rock off a cliff. I can deal with it by the way I move the lever, a little at a time and it drops in steps, but I really need to adjust this so it drops smoothly. Any possible solutions?
Lots of threads on here about that, you need to search the site.

In a nutshell, the needle valve that controls the fluid bleed from the lift quardant is frozen and you need to remove it and free it up (as well as the linkage) and once it's free, use it regularly. I turn mine every time I use my tractor a bit back and forth.

Some knobs pull off, some screw on and some are held with a roll pin. PBlaster is your friend, soak it and let it sit for a while.

Not the best design but if you use it regularly, it won't freeze up.

Reactions: 1 user

FreezinGator

Equipment
BX1500 LA181 FEL 48MMM Back blade
Jul 10, 2020
Upstate NY
Thanks guys - I was having the same issue. I was able to access the spot that needed some spray just by lifting the seat and was able to get it loose in about 15 minutes. I have owned the tractor for about a year now and while the 3 pt / mower deck were lifting and lowering ok it is nice to have some more control over the rate of drop.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You may have to remove the needle valve from the casting but don't worry, you won't loose a lot of fluid. The valve just allows a metered bypass of fluid to let the 3PH arms fall smoothly (or not at all) depending on where it's set. Just twist it regularly to keep it freed up.