L3400 FEL side mount custom build

Mebbels

Equipment
Kubota l3400.
Nov 26, 2021
Toolangi
Hello everyone,

I've just purchased my first Kubota. I thought this might be a good place to pose this question.

I have a pretty good front end loader already, and I need to mount it to my Kubota l3400… I need to make the mount's myself for a few reasons. The genuine ones are expensive and a good 4-5 month wait, and I would have to modify the uprights in the end anyway to suit the non Kubota loader.

The attached diagram are the mounts I want to make. (Original Kubota ones) I was just hoping that someone might have the measurements/plans for them.

I also wonder if anyone can explain how this seemingly light design (compared to most other subframes I have ever seen) can handle all the pressure put on it?

Regards
Screenshot_20211126-191935_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20211126-191935_Gmail.jpg
20211124_140137.jpg

Attachments

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Are you getting rid of the blue tractor? or is it dead? Seems to me that If the blue one works, you would not gain much switching it over.

If I were to switch it over, I would move it over as one piece and just fabricate adapters to mate up the blue to the orange. I wouldn't start from scratch. 🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇸

Reactions: 1 user

Mebbels

Equipment
Kubota l3400.
Nov 26, 2021
Toolangi
The Blue tractor does not have power steering and the bucket is also quite a bit too big.
I have broken the front end twice and parts are either unavailable or rare and expensive. So by moving it I will gain read of use and keep my self out of difficult situations down the road.
I have considered that, but it would be almost just as easy to make the Kubota mounts instead of amending the old sub frame, as I would need to make the plate that goes into the bell housing anyway, and from there it seems the next step would just be the round tube and uprights!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I see you're in Oz.

I can't help much.

Does the Blue one have an open center hydraulic system?

I ask because it may have implications while switching between brands for the controls.

It sounds like you're quite adept for the task at-hand.

Otherwise, I wish you the best, and hope you will post pictures of your progress! :cool: (y)

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
What brand and model is the blue tractor? I like what I think is the self leveling function with the second bar above the loader arms. I have thought about making such a thing for my LA525. I believe there is a mod for I think is a 534 loader.

bill

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
What brand and model is the blue tractor?
I would wager an Iseki...an by the looks of it possibly a TLxxxx series.

A darn fine & well built machine. I had one as my first real tractor. Was a mowing & snowplowing beast!

Mebbels

Equipment
Kubota l3400.
Nov 26, 2021
Toolangi
I see you're in Oz.

I can't help much.

Does the Blue one have an open center hydraulic system?

I ask because it may have implications while switching between brands for the controls.

It sounds like you're quite adept for the task at-hand.

Otherwise, I wish you the best, and hope you will post pictures of your progress! :cool: (y)
Thanks for the advice. I'm not to sure if it has open centre or not. The controls will be the same ones, thanks for the information your provided this far, I'll post some pics when I get it sorted!

Mebbels

Equipment
Kubota l3400.
Nov 26, 2021
Toolangi
What brand and model is the blue tractor? I like what I think is the self leveling function with the second bar above the loader arms. I have thought about making such a thing for my LA525. I believe there is a mod for I think is a 534 loader.

bill
It is an iseki te3210. A fantastic tractor! But I made the mistake of putting a bucket that is far to big on it :(
The self leveling is nice, but for my purposes I think it might have been a bit unnecessary

Mebbels

Equipment
Kubota l3400.
Nov 26, 2021
Toolangi
I would wager an Iseki...an by the looks of it possibly a TLxxxx series.

A darn fine & well built machine. I had one as my first real tractor. Was a mowing & snowplowing beast!
It is great. Such nice creeper gears. Great for rotary hoeing

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks for the advice. I'm not to sure if it has open centre or not. The controls will be the same ones, thanks for the information your provided this far, I'll post some pics when I get it sorted!
The main concern with open vs closed system is that the open center requires a continuously-flowing "loop" of fluid through the system, dumping back into the tractor's tank at low pressure, if that makes sense.

If interrupted, will dead-head the hydraulic pump and cause damage.

There's several folks here well-versed in hydraulics. They can better help.

Mebbels

Equipment
Kubota l3400.
Nov 26, 2021
Toolangi
The main concern with open vs closed system is that the open center requires a continuously-flowing "loop" of fluid through the system, dumping back into the tractor's tank at low pressure, if that makes sense.

If interrupted, will dead-head the hydraulic pump and cause damage.

There's several folks here well-versed in hydraulics. They can better help.
Oh interesting! I will have to look into that. Who are these folks? Any idea if the l3400 is designed as a closed centre or open centre?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Oh interesting! I will have to look into that. Who are these folks? Any idea if the l3400 is designed as a closed centre or open centre?
Your L3400 is open center. Not 100% sure but maybe 84.5-99%...all modern Kubotas are OC as I recall.

I won't call out the individuals that are sharp with hydraulics. They'll show up.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I'm not the sharp hydraulic guy, I'm pretty dull... but your L3400 is Open Center with Power Beyond.

I don't know if you can plumb just an Open Center valve (without Power beyond) Worst case you'll have to buy a new valve with PB to operate that front end loader.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
You didn't show the bucket, just said it is too big. Maybe just cut it down or find/fab a smaller one?

Mebbels

Equipment
Kubota l3400.
Nov 26, 2021
Toolangi
So I've got a plan for the sub frame. Looking good. But weve come to the bolts. They appear to be 16mm metric. (We've tried UNC and UNFand they were clearly not right)
But the metric after one turn gets super tight.
Any one know for sure what the thread is? Is it just made right?

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Looks good! What did the bolt thread turn out to be, just a different pitch metric or paint in the threads? I see they have metric making on the heads. I am still liking that self leveling bucket setup.

Bill