L3301

BMC330

Equipment
L3301
Dec 21, 2015
Olive Branch MS
I thought I would share a issue I have been fighting for the past couple of weeks.

It all started as a surging idle. From there my tractor started to die for no reason. Then came the codes PO0089, PO0087, PO2293. All are fuel issues.

I filled the tank with Off Road fuel in June. I have not used it as much thru the hot summer months in Mississippi, as I have a bad poison oak allergy so bush hogging causes lots of problems. I found my first issue in the filter in the water separator was covered with what appeared to be an alga. I replaced both filters and it helped for about a month. This weekend the problem presented itself again.

Today I drained the fuel and cleaned the filter in the water separator again. It was once again covered with alga. Replaced the fuel and once again it is running great . I will add algaecide to the tank tomorrow.

We have always ran off road fuel in dozers and track hoes with no issues. Not sure if I got bad fuel or what.

Anyone seen these issues if so am I on the right track to correct them?

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Did you treat or replace fuel after first episode? If not, replacing filters was a temp fix.

But sounds like you are on right track. I suspect it went bad in your tank. Hot & humid climate, pethaps partially full tank and maybe sketchy fuel quality...was perfect breeding ground.

BMC330

Equipment
L3301
Dec 21, 2015
Olive Branch MS
I changed both filters the first time. I didn't think about alga until today so I didn't treat the fuel. I have never had a issue with alga so this has been a new one for me.

I cleaned the filter in the water separator again today but not the spin on filter. I'm going to add algaecide tomorrow and replace the filters again in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
We recently had a lot of trouble with one of our Gradall Telehandlers. First indication was fluctuating RPM's. Ran poorly. The problem was algae. It was resolved with Power Service Bio Kleen and Clear-Diesel (plus a few filter changes). Runs like a new one now.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Diesel engines like clean fuel. I was told many years ago by a man much smarter than me: "If your diesel engine wont run, you have a fuel problem" To date he has never been wrong. I suppose someone can come up and say that there is a connecting rod sticking out of the block and THAT is not a fuel problem - but so far every time he has been right.

I live in South MS - it's not that Off road diesel is any different (it's not) What is likely the case is that the Off Road diesel that you got - has been sitting somewhere in somebody's slip tank full of crap etc... You probably don't much fuel anyway so it gets plenty of time to sit and grow algae. You have done the right thing - change the filter and flushed out the bad fuel. I would add an algae killer (Bio Kleen, DFC, etc there are many) But I would also pick up 2 more spin on filters. When you kill the algae, it still has to go somewhere and unfortunately your fuel filter is gonna get it.

BMC330

Equipment
L3301
Dec 21, 2015
Olive Branch MS
Thanks for the help guys.

I stopped by NAPA today and picked up some Power Services Clear Diesel. I added it to the tank today and let the tractor run about 20 minutes. After doing a little more research I should have gotten Bio Kleen but it was not in stock. I will find Bio Kleen tomorrow and add some to the tank.

It is raining today or I would have worked the tractor a couple of hours to burn some fuel thru the system.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
In case someone else is looking for what these codes are (taken from the WSM):

P0089 SCV (MPROP) stuck

P0087 Pressure limiter emergency open

P2293 Pressure limiter abnormality

BMC330

Equipment
L3301
Dec 21, 2015
Olive Branch MS
Just thought I would post a up date.

I treated the new fuel with Power Services Bio Kleen and Clean Diesel. I ran the tractor for around 8 hours yesterday pulling a bush hogg with no issues. If it can make it around 10 more hours with no issues i'm going to bring it home and change the filters, if not I will change them on the farm.

I worked it pretty hard yesterday. Still need one more full day to finish up.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can finish up before I have more issues.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
If your tractor is less than 5 years old I'd suggest taking it to the dealer, give them the rundown of the codes and intermittent running issue. I betchya they're gonna want to replace the fuel rail and SCV. Why? When the emergency limiter is opened, that usually means the rail pressure was abnormally high. Excessively high rail pressure damages the rail pressure sensor, SCV, and sometimes the injectors. Why was it high? Limiter valve stuck. Injector problem. Etc. If it's got emissions warranty still on it, it's highly advisable to address it now before your emission warranty does expire because when it does have issues, it's not cheap to fix.