L3301 fuel pump no power

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
My fuel pump isn't getting any power. Followed the checks from WSM, pump is working, no voltage coming through the connector when tractor is turned on.

I've checked all the fuses twice for continuity, everything seems to be fine. WSM says "check the circuit". I'm trying to follow the diagram but not totally sure where, physically, to find everything. From the diagram it appears related items are Engine Relay and "J/C 1", which leads to a a couple connections to the ECU.

I'm really hoping it's not the ECU but I'm not feeling too good about it right now.

Other than simply physically tracing the wires (under the body panels etc), any tips or suggestions? Hoping maybe someone's run into this before...

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My fuel pump isn't getting any power. Followed the checks from WSM, pump is working, no voltage coming through the connector when tractor is turned on.

I've checked all the fuses twice for continuity, everything seems to be fine. WSM says "check the circuit". I'm trying to follow the diagram but not totally sure where, physically, to find everything. From the diagram it appears related items are Engine Relay and "J/C 1", which leads to a a couple connections to the ECU.

I'm really hoping it's not the ECU but I'm not feeling too good about it right now.

Other than simply physically tracing the wires (under the body panels etc), any tips or suggestions? Hoping maybe someone's run into this before...
I am thinking there is more to your situation. Exactly what happened.

Any error codes on dash?

I am assuming the engine would not start and somehow you decided the fuel pump is the problem.

You need a tech with the diagmaster software to investigate these newer engines.

I suspect another sensor is telling the ECU false info and the ECU is deciding the fuel pump does not need to run.

Dave

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I detailed it on another thread (I think I broke it) but quick summary:

Accidentally ground-shorted PTO switch wire, tractor stopped with E-20 error (Communication fault). Tractor would do nothing at all at that point. Found in WSM how to reset the code, managed to do that. Tractor turns on, cranks, but won't turn over. I'm not hearing the usual clicking when I turn it on, makes me suspect fuel pump. Back to WSM, do the 2 diagnostic steps, indicates no power to pump.

Specific steps to diagnose, per manual:
1. Separate wiring connector
2. Check voltage across connector when tractor turned on
-> result: 0
3. Connect battery +/- to pump +/-
-> result: pump clicks

Per manual, this indicates pump is functioning, but no power is getting to it.

Checked all fuses for continuity, including slow-blows, no breaks. Maybe there's something else to checking fuses that I don't know?

Cheap insurance: I'm replacing ALL fuses tomorrow. It's only a few buck and if it works it's well-spent, but I would be surprised if it fixes it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would quit messing with it.
Call your dealer and get it in to get it repaired.

Reactions: 1 user

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I would quit messing with it.
Call your dealer and get it in to get it repaired.
yeah I don't have much left, was just hoping to get a last thought before doing that. I figure changing all the fuses won't hurt but I'll be making the call by EOD monday.

pretty depressing, going to the dealer is going to cost weeks when I have a lot of stuff that needs to be done over the next week. Guess I totally screwed myself for the year.

i guess there's a lesson in here somewhere, probably about being careless.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
yeah I don't have much left, was just hoping to get a last thought before doing that. I figure changing all the fuses won't hurt but I'll be making the call by EOD monday.

pretty depressing, going to the dealer is going to cost weeks when I have a lot of stuff that needs to be done over the next week. Guess I totally screwed myself for the year.

i guess there's a lesson in here somewhere, probably about being careless.
I can appreciate your efforts to fix your tractor, but maybe shorting two wires was a mistake on these tractors with a complicated wiring. And then an accidental grounding. It would be great if you could post what you learn from the dealer so we all can learn. As Wolfman suggested taking it in now is a good idea. Any mistakes with engine control system could get expensive fast.

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
It was the two wires for the PTO switch while I was checking out that specific issue. I was careless in that I never properly re-covered them afterward and left them bare. I don't see what's complicated about that, but then maybe I'm just too stupid to own a tractor. (it really is coming across like that)

Dealer can't even GET to me to pick it up until next week and I have no way to transport it. So yeah, I'm pretty screwed. Maybe I should move back to the city.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
No one is calling you stupid! We all have made mistakes. What Wolfman it trying to get across to you is the fact that for some problems the dealer is the only person who has the correct tools to fix some problems. No one is going to be able to "shade tree mechanic" the computer part of these new tractors. No one but the dealer has the means. An authorized Kubota dealer is the only way to go.

Put a posting on facebook for someone to haul your tractor. Just make sure they have commercial insurance to haul things. You might call a wrecker service and see what they will charge.

If you were closer I would move it for you.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I agree with @BigG. I have made many stupid mistakes over the years even though I should have known better. @sheepfarmer and the others do not mean any disrespect, but if the issue is being caused by inputs to the ECU (which is sounding increasingly likely) only the dealer will be able to assist you.

Last edited:

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
It was the two wires for the PTO switch while I was checking out that specific issue. I was careless in that I never properly re-covered them afterward and left them bare. I don't see what's complicated about that, but then maybe I'm just too stupid to own a tractor. (it really is coming across like that)

Dealer can't even GET to me to pick it up until next week and I have no way to transport it. So yeah, I'm pretty screwed. Maybe I should move back to the city.
I moved out of the city 4 years ago and regret it. No sidewalks. Too quiet, I hate it. Grass to cut..... My wife's idea. I check realtor.com now and then and dream of moving back. You might benefit from the move. I know I would. Good luck with the tractor. Been there done that last year.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No knock on you at all, it's just with ECM controlled tractors, messing with electrical issue without the proper equipment and knowledge can get really pricey really quick.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Just a thought cause Ive seen this happen many times when customers start pulling and checking fuses, but you did get them all back in the correct spots?

8E5CE594-8F4C-4E09-8559-C3F94A40B25A.png

Meaning you didn’t accidentally insert a fuse in one of the slots that isn’t used in the fuse box?

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I apologize for the childish outburst above.

I found a tow service that could pick it up, and while I was getting it ready for them I turned the key and the fuel pump started up. So I tried starting it, and it started right up, no problems. All I did was remove the hitch connections. That was yesterday, and it's still going fine. Only "issue" was it wanted a regen immediately after I started it.

Reactions: 1 user