L3240 with Transmission Issue

shinerprairie

Oct 1, 2016
Shiner, Texas
Have a friend in Goliad that wants to give me his L3240 Kubota with a 3 range HST hydrostatic transmission. There is an issue with the tractor's transmission....it will move a little, but wont move much..it makes a rattling/clicking noise, almost like sheetmetal getting hit by a rotating "something". Replaced the filter and fluids, but it didn't help.

How hard is it to work on these transmissions, how much to get repaired or how much to replace it with a gear type?

Any suggestions on repair?

Just want to know if I want to accept the "gift", or if it will cost me a bundle to get it repaired.

Thanks,
Ross

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Hard to tell, until you find out whats wrong with it! But hydro's are not cheap. Plus if the crunching noise is internal, like you indicated, then how much metal went through the pump?

Pat

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
......L3240 Kubota with a 3 range HST hydrostatic transmission.....it will move but wont move much....it makes a rattling/clicking noise, almost like sheetmetal getting hit by a rotating "something". ...
Has this machine been used hard? A failed clutch could produce the symptoms you describe. The HST might be fine - but with the clutch not driving the charge pump isn't spinning up, so there's little or no drive at the wheels.

The HST itself rarely fails. Those that do are usually replaced whole. A new HST costs around $5k plus labor. Switching to gear-type trans means changing too much of the tractor - not practical.

The repair might be just a straight-forward clutch job - a few hundred in parts.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
GIVE you the tractor? And you haven't gotten it yet??

I'd guess that the clutch splines are toast. Fairly easy (and relatively inexpensive) fix. Assuming the tractor is in decent shape, one with a loader and 4x4 should be worth about $12-$14k. Those are great little tractors!