L3240 hst dies

Ken P

Equipment
L3240
Aug 11, 2020
Texas
Running along fine. Dies. restart no problem away i go. Week later same thing dies while driving along. Took it to the shop, they drive it all over the property. never dies. sent it back home, thirty min. into spreading gravel, dies.
Restarts no problem same as before. but now as soon as i step on the forwrd pedal I hear the switch click then it dies if I hurry and take my foot off it doesn't die. Forward reverse or cruise the result is the same it dies unless I let off.
Jumpered the seat switch makes no difference. I don't even know if it has low fluid lockout sensors, but oil and hydraulic fluid are full. Any suggestions?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Change the fuel filter. Check the flow of fuel from the tank is good put in the new filter and let us know what happens.

Do not look at it and say "It looks good to me". Change it. A damaged fuel filter may look perfectly good but it will not function correctly. Buy a spare while you are at the store.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
That's acting like the seat switch. You may have jumped it OK and the issue could be with another connection along the way, a broken wire etc.

Ken P

Equipment
L3240
Aug 11, 2020
Texas
Thx for responding i'll have another look.

There is a second wire on the seat, it goes into the seat cushion. Is this a position sensitive switch like a mercury switch to allow the pto to turn while off the tractor with the seat flipped up?
Also where can i get a copy of the wiring diagram?

Ken P

Equipment
L3240
Aug 11, 2020
Texas
Change the fuel filter. Check the flow of fuel from the tank is good put in the new filter and let us know what happens.

Do not look at it and say "It looks good to me". Change it. A damaged fuel filter may look perfectly good but it will not function correctly. Buy a spare while you are at the store.
Thx, will do

Ken P

Equipment
L3240
Aug 11, 2020
Texas
Running along fine. Dies. restart no problem away i go. Week later same thing dies while driving along. Took it to the shop, they drive it all over the property. never dies. sent it back home, thirty min. into spreading gravel, dies.
Restarts no problem same as before. but now as soon as i step on the forwrd pedal I hear the switch click then it dies if I hurry and take my foot off it doesn't die. Forward reverse or cruise the result is the same it dies unless I let off.
Jumpered the seat switch makes no difference. I don't even know if it has low fluid lockout sensors, but oil and hydraulic fluid are full. Any suggestions?
Thx, will do
That's acting like the seat switch. You may have jumped it OK and the issue could be with another connection along the way, a broken wire etc.
SUCCESS
CULPRIT WAS INTERMITTENT SEAT SAFETY SWITCH
I confused pto lock out switch, with seat safety switch.
Took seat apart and with meter verified problem.
Still looking for wiring diagram. Will close this thread and open a new one. thx all!

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Wiring diagrams can be found in the Workshop Manual (WSM). Just make certain to buy the correct one as the Grand L40's had two versions in US. So technically your L3240 is either a L3240-1 or a L3240-3.

How the rear PTO engages can be used to determine which model you have. Dash 1 use a mechanical lever with cable and the Dash 3 uses a rotary electrical switch to engage the rear PTO.