L3240 axle seal/gasket replacement question???

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
My L3240 is leaking fluid where the knuckle connects to the axle housing. The knuckle is attached with 4 bolts and the fluid is slowly dripping out on the underside of the axle housing. I need to know how to disassemble and what gaskets or seals I need to stop the leak. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Tractordoctor

Equipment
New Holland t2310
Sep 12, 2021
Green-pointe N-B
If it’s leaking we’re it’s attach with the 4 bolt. Drain oil from case, remove tie rod end, remove 4 bolt and replace the oring and reassemble..Now if it’s the knuckle seal leaking I suggest you simply replace the the knuckle seal,bottom plug seal, oring behind the 4 bolt , axle case oring and the wheel seal while your there. A competent parts guy will know about all this or if you want to see it for your self go on kubota parts catalogue online check off the check mark on the bottom of the page and write your model and you have access to all the parts break down. There is not much to it you will need socket set ,flat head screw driver, snapping plier and just reassemble how it came apart. Be sure to triple check the oil level after repair as it will go down,After a little drive.

DaveD

Equipment
B1700 HST 1996, LP grading scraper & box scraper, Bush Hog SQ60 & aerator
Jun 30, 2021
Central Virginia
IMG_4015 makes it pretty clear that the seal in the bevel gear case is leaking. But I suggest that before taking anything down you check for air pressure in the front axle housing. I had a similar problem with my B1700 on both sides two or three years ago and ordered seals for both sides. But after changing the worse of the two I remembered that when I removed the oil fill plug on top of the axle housing some air puffed out; the axle housing was obviously under pressure. So after changing the really bad side I refilled the axle and cleaned both sides. The smaller leak on the side that I didn't repair hasn't leaked again, so the leak was obviously the result of air pressure in the front axle. I subsequently put a small breather hole in the filler plug.

There is a discussion in another thread in orangetractortalks about whether the front axle should be ported or not; I haven't had any problem to date with porting mine. You should be able to find that discussion by doing a search in this forum.

If you do replace the bevel case seal it may be that your tractor, like mine, has an inner sleeve that is part of that seal that is pressed onto the shoulder of the bevel gear case. It is easy to miss and if you press your new seal over that one you will destroy the seal and probably not notice it until you put it all back together. If it exists, make sure that the old inner sleeve is removed.

Finally, there are several videos out there that may lead you through the seal replacement. Use your favorite search engine and search for kubota front axle seal replacement.

Hook

Equipment
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
IMG_4015 makes it pretty clear that the seal in the bevel gear case is leaking. But I suggest that before taking anything down you check for air pressure in the front axle housing. I had a similar problem with my B1700 on both sides two or three years ago and ordered seals for both sides. But after changing the worse of the two I remembered that when I removed the oil fill plug on top of the axle housing some air puffed out; the axle housing was obviously under pressure. So after changing the really bad side I refilled the axle and cleaned both sides. The smaller leak on the side that I didn't repair hasn't leaked again, so the leak was obviously the result of air pressure in the front axle. I subsequently put a small breather hole in the filler plug.

There is a discussion in another thread in orangetractortalks about whether the front axle should be ported or not; I haven't had any problem to date with porting mine. You should be able to find that discussion by doing a search in this forum.

If you do replace the bevel case seal it may be that your tractor, like mine, has an inner sleeve that is part of that seal that is pressed onto the shoulder of the bevel gear case. It is easy to miss and if you press your new seal over that one you will destroy the seal and probably not notice it until you put it all back together. If it exists, make sure that the old inner sleeve is removed.

Finally, there are several videos out there that may lead you through the seal replacement. Use your favorite search engine and search for kubota front axle seal replacement.
Thanks for your reply. I assume the axle housing is vented but I'm not sure. When I changed the fluid I did not notice any build up of pressure. Thanks again.

Hook

Equipment
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
If it’s leaking we’re it’s attach with the 4 bolt. Drain oil from case, remove tie rod end, remove 4 bolt and replace the oring and reassemble..Now if it’s the knuckle seal leaking I suggest you simply replace the the knuckle seal,bottom plug seal, oring behind the 4 bolt , axle case oring and the wheel seal while your there. A competent parts guy will know about all this or if you want to see it for your self go on kubota parts catalogue online check off the check mark on the bottom of the page and write your model and you have access to all the parts break down. There is not much to it you will need socket set ,flat head screw driver, snapping plier and just reassemble how it came apart. Be sure to triple check the oil level after repair as it will go down,After a little drive.
Thanks so much. I was hoping I could take the 4 bolts and tie rod loose and separate. I have already ordered the O ring in hopes that would be a fix. However, I did not want to tear into it until I was sure I could get it apart without taking the knuckle apart. Your reply gives me hope. Thanks again.