L3200 Hazard/turn signal light issue

ridgerunner85

Equipment
L3200
Dec 19, 2019
PA
Hello all,

recently noticed the rear left side light on the fender wasn’t working when I had the hazard lights on. Checked the bulb and it was good. When I use the left side turn signal the right side comes on, left doesn’t. Right side works correctly with both hazard button and turn signal. I’m assuming it’s a short somewhere. All fuses are good too. But wanted to ask if there are any other possibilities or where to begin looking?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
I would lean toward the combination switch, the flasher unit, or least the hazard switch.

Combination switch and hazard switch can be accessed by removing from panel.

Flasher unit you take off the steering wheel, remove the rear bonnet.

Wiring diagrams and component testing are in the Workshop manual.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I don't think you have short, I think maybe an open circuit - a short should burn the fuse, however you could have a grounding issue or the hot wire is broken along the route. You said you checked the bulb - did you place it in the right side? Trace the wire(s) and see if anything is crushed, chafed or evidence of mice or anything like that along that route.

When you say the "right side comes on" when using left blinker - you mean it blinks? or just comes on and stays lit?

As for the relay - that could be bad assuming there are two used or the blinker switch could be failing too.

Turn left blinker on - and use an VOLT meter and see if you have any voltage at the socket - if you have an old analog meter, it will show it easier than a digital - even though a digital will show a pulse of DC as it comes and goes.

ridgerunner85

Equipment
L3200
Dec 19, 2019
PA
I don't think you have short, I think maybe an open circuit - a short should burn the fuse, however you could have a grounding issue or the hot wire is broken along the route. You said you checked the bulb - did you place it in the right side? Trace the wire(s) and see if anything is crushed, chafed or evidence of mice or anything like that along that route.

When you say the "right side comes on" when using left blinker - you mean it blinks? or just comes on and stays lit?

As for the relay - that could be bad assuming there are two used or the blinker switch could be failing too.

Turn left blinker on - and use an VOLT meter and see if you have any voltage at the socket - if you have an old analog meter, it will show it easier than a digital - even though a digital will show a pulse of DC as it comes and goes.
Switched bulbs, same result. Haven’t had a chance to trace any wires yet.

When left side turn signal is turned on right side light on top of fender comes on and stays on. The lower left light(mounted in-line with the fender) works properly.

Checked voltage with a multimeter tonight, had 13-14 volts.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Hello all,

recently noticed the rear left side light on the fender wasn’t working when I had the hazard lights on. Checked the bulb and it was good. When I use the left side turn signal the right side comes on, left doesn’t. Right side works correctly with both hazard button and turn signal. I’m assuming it’s a short somewhere. All fuses are good too. But wanted to ask if there are any other possibilities or where to begin looking?
I had the same issue on my B3200. Everything checked out OK. I thought it was the Flasher unit at this point. Priced one at the Stealer , about $100. and said no way I'm paying that for a simple flasher.

Opened up the dash to where I could access the flasher and found the main harness plug was only half way pushed in to the unit. Added a zip tie around it and fixedit.