L3000 Fuel Filter change question

bhf

May 1, 2010
Grand Isle, VT
Hi there. I have an L3000F with a spin on filter. The manual does not indicate, nor can I find by inspection, any way to shut off the fuel to change the filter. How do keep from pouring diesel everywhere while changing the filter? Or do I just have to put a bucket underneath and be speedy?
-Adam

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Have you removed the side panel to see if theres a shut off valve? I'm not familar with the spin on fuel filter but it may be like an automobile where you can replace the filter and have only a little bit of fuel spill out do to the fact the fuel pump has to be working to transfer fuel.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have already experienced what you are going thru. It would be so much better to have a factory installed cut off but it can be solved very easy.

Go get a universal inline gas/fuel cut off , a piece of fuel line(2" is plenty but they probably will require you to purchase it by the foot) and some extra hose clamps at your local auto parts store.

Remove the clamp at the fuel filter (leave hose attached for now) and have the new cut off ready to install. Make sure the cut off is in the closed position. Not to sound anal but make sure again that the cut off is closed. The line most likely will be stuck to the filter base so you will probably need to twist it just a little to break it loose. Once it's loose, have the cut off ready (in hand) and remove the fuel line from the filter base. Just as the line comes off the filter base slip the cut off into the line and install the clamp, (I prefer a new clamp that can be tightened down) now take the piece of new fuel line and cut it to the length you want and put it on the other end of the cut off and clamp it. Now attach the other end of the new line to the filter base and your problem is over.

In the attached pics you can see the installed cut off. Mine is routed a little different than described above because of the after market filter I installed but it works in the same way. I just go to the new filter first and then to the factory filter.

You may also be interested in the thread I posted on "L 3000 air filter upgrade".

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you removed the side panel to see if theres a shut off valve? I'm not familar with the spin on fuel filter but it may be like an automobile where you can replace the filter and have only a little bit of fuel spill out do to the fact the fuel pump has to be working to transfer fuel.
Hi Eric,

I don't understand why but this model does not have a fuel cut off. And to make matters worse the fuel free flows very quick out of this particular type of base. If a fel is installed it really puts you in a bind to even get to the filter in the first place.

If you aren't prepaired a large mess is made in a hurry and the only one I heard laughing was the wife. She thought it was funny until I told her if she wanted the mess cleaned up that she could do it herself.

I put my foot down.
That my story and I'm sticking to it.:D

bhf

May 1, 2010
Grand Isle, VT
Thanks for the advice, bulldog :) I know exactly what you are getting at- this kind of valve shut off is exactly what is on my walk-behind tiller. I had actually thought I may need to install a cutoff.
-Adam

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the orange tractor.

Is there no shut off either at the tank itself or at the filter mount base????

On my little L175 there is a fuel shut off at the tank itself on the opposite side of the tractor from the filter. That is very practical for service but it sounds like Kubota did not maintain practicallity for all models. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Another way to deal with a service issue is to use a fuel line pinching tool. These tools are made specifically for pinching a rubber fuel line temporarily for a service procdure without any damage to the line. I have two varieties that I use for water and fuel lines in auto, marine and pretty much everything.
One quick easy way to make up a tool like this is to slide a piece of rubber hose over the jaws of some needle nose vise grips. By using the rubber pieces no damage will occur to the hose that is pinched off with the vise grips.

For long term service I would just put in a shut-off but for the quick and easy use a tool.

Good luck

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the orange tractor.

Is there no shut off either at the tank itself or at the filter mount base????

On my little L175 there is a fuel shut off at the tank itself on the opposite side of the tractor from the filter. That is very practical for service but it sounds like Kubota did not maintain practicallity for all models. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Another way to deal with a service issue is to use a fuel line pinching tool. These tools are made specifically for pinching a rubber fuel line temporarily for a service procdure without any damage to the line. I have two varieties that I use for water and fuel lines in auto, marine and pretty much everything.
One quick easy way to make up a tool like this is to slide a piece of rubber hose over the jaws of some needle nose vise grips. By using the rubber pieces no damage will occur to the hose that is pinched off with the vise grips.

For long term service I would just put in a shut-off but for the quick and easy use a tool.

Good luck
Good call on the use of the rubber covered vise grips Aquaforce. That sounds like a little red neck engineering to me. Whatever gets the job done though, right.

Unless they changed the design after 2000 (that's what I have) they don't have any type of fuel cut off. The line comes out of the tank right above the filter base and hooks straight in. I think it's a poor design but at least it can be modified fairly easy. Oh well.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Hi Eric,

I don't understand why but this model does not have a fuel cut off. And to make matters worse the fuel free flows very quick out of this particular type of base. If a fel is installed it really puts you in a bind to even get to the filter in the first place.

Really sounds like piss poor design and fabrication on Kubota's part when that built that type of fuel system. Like its always said what looks good on paper doesnt always look good in real life.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Good call on the use of the rubber covered vise grips Aquaforce. That sounds like a little red neck engineering to me. Whatever gets the job done though, right.

That is a piece of real work in the field from those who do this everyday. We get faced with the "budget" or engineering short falls but still have the expectation placed on us to get the job done. Sometimes ya just gotta use whacha got. :( Sux but it works.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Really sounds like piss poor design and fabrication on Kubota's part when that built that type of fuel system. Like its always said what looks good on paper doesnt always look good in real life.
That is a piece of real work in the field from those who do this everyday. We get faced with the "budget" or engineering short falls but still have the expectation placed on us to get the job done. Sometimes ya just gotta use whacha got. :( Sux but it works.
Yall both said it on this one.

Eric,

It really sux the first time you go to service this tractor and start looking for the fuel shut off. Search for a while, can't find it. Get the manual out and read, can't find it. Back to the tractor and look some more, still can't find it.

Rant and rave about some little japanese dude that probably over there laughing at me right now. I'm cussing back at him and saying what a DA he is for doing this to me. None of that seemed to help so it's another trip to town to buy the supplies needed to fix it the way it should have been done in the first place.

You said it as well Aquaforce,

Company motto: Do more work with fewer supplies and tools. By the way, do it faster.:mad: