L295DT wont start, white smoke, video

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
As others have said. Adjust engine valves. Check to be sure the decompression mechanism is adjusted properly and not holding one or more the valves open. Simple way to check that is just loosen or remove the valve cover when the engine is running. Then do a compression test. Then you know exactly where you're at. Otherwise you're just continuing to guess and waste a lot of time and money. Great little tractors well worth the effort. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
You should do a compression test!
And #2 intake valve is too tight or it's bad, it's blowing back.
Yes compression test will be done
Intake 2 blowback: I do see what you mean

The starting attempt at about 1:56 shows some spit-back from the #2 intake port.

I still think taking the head off may show something with that cylinder - the chambers may have carbon buildup that's interfering with valve seating.
taking off head to see if valve seating occurring properly: yes I will be doing this task once I get a stretch of uninterrupted time, I could definitely see carbon build up interfering with valve seating, I do see carbon buildup in the intake port

To take off the head, Im guessing get those 8 massive bolts?

As others have said. Adjust engine valves. Check to be sure the decompression mechanism is adjusted properly and not holding one or more the valves open. Simple way to check that is just loosen or remove the valve cover when the engine is running. Then do a compression test. Then you know exactly where you're at. Otherwise you're just continuing to guess and waste a lot of time and money. Great little tractors well worth the effort. Good luck
"adjust engine valves": Theres a way to do this?
Decompression mechanism: it is functioning properly, no compression when turned left (from driver position) and compression when turned right

Know where you are at: Ok so take off glow plugs and do compression test, take off valve cover, and also take off head? Those 3 tasks I need to do?

Great little tractor: omg, when I drive it, the shifting is incredible, it reminds me of old toyota trucks the way the gears are seamless. It's honestly an absolute tank. The steel feels twice as thick as that of today's quality. It holds 7+ gallons of hydraulic fluid, can power tremendous attachments. Wait til i figure out the bucket and the backhoe. Functioning properly with no leaks or problems, i bet it can get a lot done in a day. Speaking of toyota, the injectors and the glow plugs that were installed are toyota related, denso inectors and ngk glow plugs

Few other observations:
Got the soap bottle and sprayed it looking for leaks

It is oozing out a small oil leak from the exhaust side of cylinder 2, right at the manifold and block intersection
Oil leak from exhaust side center cylinder: Why is there oil coming out the exhaust? There should not oil coming from there. It should just be combusted diesel coming out the exhaust, right? But since oil is coming out, what exactly does that mean?

Somehow, a tiny leak is also from injector closest to driver
I spent lots of time cleaning these areas and got the copper seal, next step:
Is there some kind of paste/material to put on the threads of that injector to finally be done with the leaks?
I've taken off and put them on so many times now

That last video was the first attempt at starting it after reconnecting all the lines
Thats why it took awhile to get her going
But once she's going, lets say I run it for 15 minutes, I shut it off, then I wait for 30 minutes
I try to turn it on: instantly she fires

Now I am experimenting: how long I can let her sit and still be able to crank her over
What I'm thinking: there is a number of small leaks put together amounting to loss of pressure
Then after she is sitting overnight, it has to rebuild that pressure along that entire pathway
I'm also testing to see if the alternator is charging the battery

The goal: if I can get her to fire up reliably without always needing jumper cable etc, then I will put the bucket on and do the dirt work to build the mini shop
later: Dig into the engine really deep and fix it properly

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
Experiment update:
Sat all night for 12 hours,
This morning I try to start it, fired right up
But I’m still gonna try to take the head off tonight, and do the compression test
Slowly but surely, with each little improvement I can feel the engine running more smoothly