L2900 GST Steering Issue - Fluid Leak ( L3300 L3600 L4200 )

dog rocket

Equipment
L2900 GST
Mar 6, 2018
NorCal Sierra Foothills
Hello, I just found and joined this forum. I'm hoping somebody can steer me in the right direction. hahahee <whew> :eek:

I fired my L2900 GST up and took it about 10 feet when I realized I had no steering to the right. I still had steering to the left. Here are the specific symptoms:

• turn to the right = massive leak and no wheel response
  • turn to the left = operation normal, no leak
  • powered down and steered left is fine but with no PS
  • powered down and steered right = no response
  • transmission, loader and rear hydraulics all operate as normal

I do have the factory workshop manual which I have been studying intently...

Please note my GST tractor has the hydrostatic power steering. I pulled off the covers under the steering wheel to expose the Steering Controller and the hoses look fine with no signs of leaking.

The Hydraulic Pump and Regulator Valve as viewed from the right side of the motor also look clean and dry.

The major leak with the steering turned right appears to be coming from between the Steering Controller and Hydraulic Pump, streaming down the side of the transmission case.

I can't see the hoses at all. I can't believe they are in there so tight and deep, especially for something that should be readily serviceable. They drop from the Steering Controller through a boot and behind the firewall hump before finding their way to the Hydraulic Pump area. When I was trying to get in there to see what I could see with a flashlight, I did see a rat's nest up in the same firewall area. I'm hoping my issue is a hose that's been chewed through. I poked and prodded with the longest screwdriver I have and got some of the nest out but like I said, it's tight!

My question is two-fold:

1. Am I on the right track in thinking a loss to steering in one direction should be traceable to the Steering Controller or could there be another issue somewhere in the chain?

2. What's the best way to access this area? Is the floorboard (deck) easily removable? That looks like the best way to see what's going on. I can't see or access anything from below.

Thanks for your help!
Randy

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Looks like you'll be fitting "Armstrong" power steering from here on!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Need to find and fix the leak first and foremost. I'm thinking that it may solve your issue. There are 2 hoses that run from the controller to the steering cylinder. One is pressurized to steer right, the other left. If one had a leak, you lose steering in one direction.

dog rocket

Equipment
L2900 GST
Mar 6, 2018
NorCal Sierra Foothills
Need to find and fix the leak first and foremost. I'm thinking that it may solve your issue. There are 2 hoses that run from the controller to the steering cylinder. One is pressurized to steer right, the other left. If one had a leak, you lose steering in one direction.

Yes, what I meant is that I am guessing it is one of the 4 hoses coming out of the controller. Does that sound plausible?

Anyone know how hard it is to remove the floorboard (deck)?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes, what I meant is that I am guessing it is one of the 4 hoses coming out of the controller. Does that sound plausible?

Anyone know how hard it is to remove the floorboard (deck)?
You don't remove the step plate (floor boards) to get to the controller or lines, they are under the steering post undercover.

Attachments

dog rocket

Equipment
L2900 GST
Mar 6, 2018
NorCal Sierra Foothills
You don't remove the step plate (floor boards) to get to the controller or lines, they are under the steering post undercover.

Thanks! I had not noticed that inspection cover (actually a very large grommet) in the firewall shown in your exploded view before last night. Removing that allowed me to remove the nest and locate the leak.

Can I ask what publication you found that exploded view? The workshop manual is lacking for illustrations

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks! I had not noticed that inspection cover (actually a very large grommet) in the firewall shown in your exploded view before last night. Removing that allowed me to remove the nest and locate the leak.

Can I ask what publication you found that exploded view? The workshop manual is lacking for illustrations
That is out of the WSM, what is the Number (they all it a code #) or P/N of the manual you have, it will be on the last page.
The manual I have is P/N 97897-11610
Those pictures came from page 7-S10

MOTORMOUTH

Equipment
Kubota L3600
Jul 9, 2022
SANTA MARIA California
Itoo have a similar issue, however the Leake is not the controller or the hoses to the steering cylinder. It gushes out from obove and behind the cylinder when turning to the left, and the wheels don't turn. It turns right, but not left. Thank you in advance

johndeerebones

Equipment
B7200 HST-D RC-60-72, L4200 GST MFWD with FEL
Aug 17, 2020
USA
Itoo have a similar issue, however the Leake is not the controller or the hoses to the steering cylinder. It gushes out from obove and behind the cylinder when turning to the left, and the wheels don't turn. It turns right, but not left. Thank you in advance
You'll get more replies on your own thread. Sounds like the cylinder.