L2850 won’t start

Trtr0611

Equipment
L2850
Feb 17, 2022
Tennessee
My L2850 won’t start with the key switch. I can jump it off with a screwdriver at the starter so I know it’s not the battery or the starter. I tested the clutch and key switches and they are ok. The fuses in the main box are ok. The seat safety switch was gone and straight wired when I bought it. Anybody got any more ideas of areas I can test or where I can test with an multimeter? It was made in 1986 so the wiring is in pretty bad shape and someone has jumped the wiring around quite a bit. Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There never was a seat safety switch on that model???
Have you check the PTO switch?
Do you have power going to the switch?
Do you have dash lights?
How about head and tail lights?

Trtr0611

Equipment
L2850
Feb 17, 2022
Tennessee
There never was a seat safety switch on that model???
Have you check the PTO switch?
Do you have power going to the switch?
Do you have dash lights?
How about head and tail lights?
Oh ok. I just saw the wires under the seat and thought there may have been a safety switch under there. The dash lights work when I turn the key. The headlights didn’t work when I bought it. Is there somewhere to get a wiring diagram without buying the manual?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Oh ok. I just saw the wires under the seat and thought there may have been a safety switch under there. The dash lights work when I turn the key. The headlights didn’t work when I bought it. Is there somewhere to get a wiring diagram without buying the manual?
Sent you a PM with WSM info. ;)

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
A common problem on the older machines like your is the bulkhead connector on the left side. The black and white wire is your trigger wire for the starter. It passes through that connector. Years of diesel and dirt in that connector will cause it to not make connection. Be sure you're getting 12 volts on both sides of that connector when you go to the start position.

Attachments

Trtr0611

Equipment
L2850
Feb 17, 2022
Tennessee
A common problem on the older machines like your is the bulkhead connector on the left side. The black and white wire is your trigger wire for the starter. It passes through that connector. Years of diesel and dirt in that connector will cause it to not make connection. Be sure you're getting 12 volts on both sides of that connector when you go to the start position.
When I turn the key to the on position the panel lights do not light up but when I turn the key to start, the panel lights come on.

Trtr0611

Equipment
L2850
Feb 17, 2022
Tennessee
When I test the connections at the key switch I get 12 volts from the battery to AC and ST but I get nothing at the G2 post. The G1 post is for the glow plug but someone had taken it off. Any ideas where to test next? How would I test the bulkhead connector?