L285 Steering Box Repair

avvidclif

Equipment
BX2230 L285
May 12, 2020
Mabank, Tx
I have an L285 with a cracked steering box. It has been JB Welded but that didn't work, it cracked again in one spot. I need it welded/repaired/rebuilt. Anyone have anyone have any recommendations . Pictures attached.

Messicks shows they can order one but I haven't called to see if they can actually get it. Anyone know?

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
From the rust, I wonder if the crack is not from water inside the box freezing.

If you cannot find a box, I would consider seeking out a very skilled welder who might braze it for a long term repair.

Alternatively, another try with an epoxy product, JB weld or others would be worth a try but these products cannot just be laid over a crack and expected to work, The crack should be Vee'd out using a fine blade on a small angle grinder and the sides of the crack ground down to bare metal.

This provides the epoxy with bare metal to bond to and also by Vee'ing the crack, the surface area for the epoxy to bond to in order to resist the opening of the crack is greatly increased over the "laid on top," method where there is just a thin layer of epoxy trying to reist the forces spreading the crack when in operation.

This photo is of a brazing repair I had done to a cast iron part on a 1965 Nuffield. It has lasted 30 years and shows no signs of failing.

forum Nuffield.jpg

You need to canvas the people involved with car and motor cycle restoration to find the right person to do tricky welding. These individuals exist, are very skilled and can work miracles.

Dave

avvidclif

Equipment
BX2230 L285
May 12, 2020
Mabank, Tx
From the rust, I wonder if the crack is not from water inside the box freezing.

If you cannot find a box, I would consider seeking out a very skilled welder who might braze it for a long term repair.

Alternatively, another try with an epoxy product, JB weld or others would be worth a try but these products cannot just be laid over a crack and expected to work, The crack should be Vee'd out using a fine blade on a small angle grinder and the sides of the crack ground down to bare metal.

This provides the epoxy with bare metal to bond to and also by Vee'ing the crack, the surface area for the epoxy to bond to in order to resist the opening of the crack is greatly increased over the "laid on top," method where there is just a thin layer of epoxy trying to reist the forces spreading the crack when in operation.

This photo is of a brazing repair I had done to a cast iron part on a 1965 Nuffield. It has lasted 30 years and shows no signs of failing.

View attachment 47412

You need to canvas the people involved with car and motor cycle restoration to find the right person to do tricky welding. These individuals exist, are very skilled and can work miracles.

Dave
I did a little more digging. I chipped away some of the JB Weld and lo and behold at one point in it's life the box had suffered a major break. All of the JB Weld is covering a very good job of cast iron welding. It appears that some of the weld was porous and caused the cracks in the JB Weld. Above the lower part the weld is bright and shiny. The plan now is to get it all apart and order the replacement parts and gaskets needed and put it back together. I will cover the weld with silicone sealer to keep the new grease from leaking out. Appears to be repairable. And never again will it sit outside without a tarp over it to keep rain out.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
I have an L285 with a cracked steering box. It has been JB Welded but that didn't work, it cracked again in one spot. I need it welded/repaired/rebuilt. Anyone have anyone have any recommendations . Pictures attached.

Messicks shows they can order one but I haven't called to see if they can actually get it. Anyone know?

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
All states Ag Parts has a used housing. It's for a L295DT but will fit your L285.
Phone number is 855-530-3810
Good luck Lance

avvidclif

Equipment
BX2230 L285
May 12, 2020
Mabank, Tx
A followup. Closer examination after chipping off the JB Weld revealed a beautiful arc welding job under the cracked JB Weld. The box itself is fine. It been holding cleaning fluid for 3 days now. I went online and ordered the parts needed to repair it. Turns out the problem was the bottom bearing for the steering shaft had self destructed, probably after the welding repair. Picture shows the top bearing and below it is the bearing carrier for the bottom bearing. A new shaft with bearings on the way. Should be good as new. Fingers crossed.
IMG_3287 (Medium).jpeg