L2800HST - What do you think?

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I have a line on a 2009 L2800HST w/FEL, backblade, and rake for $ 15,900. The unit has only 150 hrs.

I'm looking for a tractor & FEL to move dirt, snow, pull out downed trees, and do general maintenance on my 20 acres. What do you think of this ?? Would this 29 HP be enough for me ?? Your thoughts ...

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Hey Service Dept Vic - I'm new to tractors and definitely don't want to buy one that is too small - but - hate to overspend on more tractor that what is really needed.

Would this thing pull out a downed tree from the woods that is - say - 20-25 ft long ? I've heard that normally you'll run out of traction before you run out of power.

Thoughts ?

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
If you have time and watch Craigslist you can get a more powerful tractor and maybe even a Grand L for less money. I found a 2008 L3240 with 70 hours, FEL, R4 tires and a finish mower for $14K. I had to drive 400 miles to get it but it was well worth the drive.

Last edited:

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Thanks Hook. Yeah - I think I need more tractor than a L2800. The added horses will someday come in handy - since I don't plan on buying one of these things again - anytime soon.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
TK,

Here is an update on what I meant with my earlier post. This weekend I purchased a package deal that included the following:

2005 Kubota L2800 Hyd. (163 hours) with R4 tires, and LA 463 FEL
5 ft Bush Hog Squealer w/slip clutch (10 hours),
5 ft Woods RD 600 finish mower (real good condition),
5 ft drag harrow
16 ft dual axle trailer.

The owner threw in all his chains and binders, plus a 5 gallon diesel fuel container. I purchased it to sell and would gladly sell the package for the price you mentioned in your original post. The tractor was mainly used for mowing 10 acres. All the equipment is in excellent condition except the trailer which is a little rough. However, it has new tires and pulled perfectly from South Pittsburg, Tenn. to Jackson, Ga. (approx. 188 miles). The deals are out there but you have to be patient and willing to go get them.

fiddlindave

Equipment
L3700
Feb 5, 2011
St. Stephen, SC
That package is a fair price, and Hook's offer is even better. I looked around for a few months, and couldn't find a great deal, so I bought a new L3700SU with FEL for around $18,000. I found 20 tractors like yours, a few years old, a few hundred hours, for 15-16K, then just decided to get the new one. I love it, but the used ones may be a better deal. I like the fact that I broke it in, and I did the 50 hour service (to the max), and there's a warranty.

Definitely get HST and FEL and R4 tires. I wish I'd bought the 4-way bucket, that's my only regret. Regarding power, more is always better, but 29hp is plenty to do anything you want. My buying advice is to get your money ready, then be patient. Look at dozens of tractors, but don't buy unless your are sure in your heart. However, when you find the right tractor at a great price, move fast. The really good deals go away tomorrow.

My final advice is this: Make a list, then get everything you want. Don't settle for the wrong tires, or no loader, or no foldable ROPS, or whatever. You will regret not getting the right tractor because you will keep and use this thing for life.

Good luck, and enjoy the hunt!

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Fiddlindave - thanks for the advice. I've researched the heck out of this issue and decided to go with more tractor - more HP and get the L3800. I can get a brand new one - out the door - for about $19,300 (with FEL). That's what I will do - soon!:D:D

JohnMagee

Equipment
L3700 with FEL
Jan 19, 2011
Fairdale, Ky
Hi fiddlindave, I also just purchaseds a L3700SU with the fel and it is a beast! I havent had a chance to use it much yet but I couldnt be happier with the fel joystick and the hst. This is a great package!