L275 ran fine....now won't start?

woodinville275

Mar 21, 2012
Woodinville, WA
I just bought an L275 about 6 months ago. I was using it a couple times a week and never had any problem starting it. Sometimes if I went two weeks with out using it, it would take a little more time, but always started right up. Now it's been sitting a month and it won't start at all. The tank was about half full. It turns over fine. I ran down the battery a bit so I hooked it up to my truck and tried a shot of Ether. It started with the Ether and ran for about 10 seconds and then quit. Any thoughts?

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
Use of Ether in any Kubota engine will suddenly render it a boat anchor.

Check your fuel supply to the injectors first and if you don't have it, work backwards.

Hope that the ether hasn't already done damage to the piston, rings, cylinders, cylinder, head and valves. It's like a nuclear explosion in the combustion chamber. "Starting Fluid" may be available and safe for use in some diesel engines but definitely not Kubota engines.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
First thought, put that ether away! IF the tractor survived a dose of ether you can continue to troubleshoot the fuel delivery.
My first step would be to pull the fuel line from the filter to verify that you have a full flow of fuel at that point. Judging by the humidity in your locale I'm expecting algae build up clogging fuel delivery anywhere along the way. This greenish/bluish snot can clog the lines, filter and fuel delivery pump. Then check the filter for any slimy gunk and that fuel flows steadily through the filter.

In that climate you need to keep the fuel tank topped off to minimize condensation and the subsequent algae growth. A dose of bio-cide regularly is helpful.

Oh, and about the ether, read...http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2009/02/trouble-starting-your-kubota-skip-the-starting-fluid/

Last edited:

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Check compression release is NOT engaged and/or fuel shutoff solenoid functioning properly by opening / closing when energized by key.

If determined to be fuel fouling problem use a combination biocide and cetane enhancer.

woodinville275

Mar 21, 2012
Woodinville, WA
Thanks for the suggestions and the warning on Ether. I hope I didn't just ruin my tractor. That would be a real bummer. I'm assuming if I blew the thing up it wouldn't even turn over at this point?

I will let you know if I am able to trouble shoot the problem.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Glad your here!. Now, walk to your trash can, remove the lid, and now throw the ether in the trash and replace the lid. With that done, you can now troubleshoot the entire fuel system. begin at the fuel tank check at each connection for proper fuel quality and flow all the way back to the tank again through the return line. this should turn something up. Good Luck!

woodinville275

Mar 21, 2012
Woodinville, WA
OK, so I filled the fuel tank and then removed the fuel line from where it enters the filter and got diesel all over. I reconnected the line and then bled the lines to make sure all the air was out. Cranked the engine over and it started right up. I didn't notice any weird noises, so I think I escaped the ether disaster. Took it for a spin around the property, and now I have a smile on my face. Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Still Orange and Happy.

TrentonJack

Equipment
L275, bucket, Kelly B-30 backhoe, Ford Bushhog, Kubota 5' tiller, grader blade
Sep 12, 2021
Trenton Florida
Well, I am resurrecting this old thread since I need to follow the advice above... It started with my neighbor stating I should use diesel conditioner so I purchased Howes Diesel Treatment and added one ounce to my five gallon can. Topped off the fuel tank (4 gallons) and proceeded to run, the tractor has always run fine for the five years I've owned it while having just under 700 hours (94 L275).
Ran an hour or so and the engine started bogging down and quit, wanted to restart but would not stay running. I immediately thought fuel so purchased a filter and installed this morning. The fuel bowl had water and sediment/gel in the bottom along with no spring. Tried to restart which resulted idling for a minute and then stalled. Tried to restart but no luck. I'm not sure if you can flood a diesel because if you can I may have.
Well on to the above steps and see where that leads. Any additional direction is appreciated.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
See if you have good fuel flow into the fuel filter by removing the fuel line into the filter housing.
See this thread

TrentonJack

Equipment
L275, bucket, Kelly B-30 backhoe, Ford Bushhog, Kubota 5' tiller, grader blade
Sep 12, 2021
Trenton Florida
I guess I was lucky, I replaced the filter then verified I had fuel beyond the filter. It is back up and running though I will keep the tank full and add stabilizer religiously....