L260 suddenly wont start. Injection Pump?

wpg9210

Equipment
L260
Oct 3, 2019
Waterford Works, NJ
Hello, I am very new to this. So please bear with me if I ask any stupid questions.

I recently bought a very old L260. It ran when I got it home. Tried to start it the other day and it caught, as normal, black exhaust, ran for a second and died.

I read all I can about that model here. I am thinking this is an injection pump problem? Again very new to tractors and diesel engines.

I cracked the fuel lines at the injectors, cranked the engine. Fuel comes out of the lines.

Then i removed the cover plate on the injection pump and the rack was stuck full forward (WOT?).

Tried bleeding the fuel line. Still plenty of fuel coming out when cranking.

Then I tried manually pumping the fuel transfer pump, the engine caught for a second then died.

Not enough pressure from the injection pump?

Thanks in advance.

-Bill

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You should start at the tank and see if you have good fuel flow from tank, into filter, out of filter, into injector pump...

Is it fresh fuel and are you sure it is diesel and only diesel? Has it gotten too cold there for the fuel in the tank, is it gelling (doubtful but possible)

Spray the pump rack to clean it up and free it to move easily. Search for methods on that since I don’t have the information on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
It could be the injector pump but I doubt it. You say you have a transfer pump? If that's the case its output could be low if the starter isn't spinning the engine fast enough. Be sure fuel is flowing freely out of the tank. Many of the older tractors are gravity fed through the filter and to the injector pump with no transfer pump in the middle. Sometimes blockage in the tank will prevent adequate flow. Your fuel filter may be dirty. Low fuel flow will allow an engine to start, run briefly, then die. Be sure you have good flow, then be sure fuel system has been bled of air by the book. The tractor will probably then be fine.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
Start with the basics. When cranking you say you have fuel coming out. I would believe the injection pump is fine, especially since it ran before. Start with CLEAN fuel and fuel filters. Also make sure you have adequate air to the engine. Make sure your air filter is clean. Then also make sure that you have a good, strong battery. And finally, since it is an older unit, your glow plugs are going to be vital to get that engine started. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
U said the rack is stuck.. it aint gonna start if the rack is stuck..
& if it does, & the rack is in full throttle{wot} U probably wont be able to shut it down, unless u cut-off the air going into the engine or the fuel going into the inj. pump.
But u STILL have to start w/ clean fuel, new filters & working glow plugs..
Good luck. TPG

wpg9210

Equipment
L260
Oct 3, 2019
Waterford Works, NJ
Ok. That's most of the stuff I've checked. I filled the tank with fresh off road diesel, can see the dyed fuel coming out of the lines. According to the seller the glow plugs, injectors, fuel filter are new. The air cleaner is an oil bath type. How do I tell if I'm getting enough air? I pulled an injector and cranked the engine with it attached to the line. Should it spray fuel? I'm sure I'll come up with more. Thank you for the input.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You say that according to the seller the injectors, glow plugs, and fuel filter are new. Can you base that on anything but his word? Black smoke coming from the exhaust probably indicates an excess amount of fuel or more likely too little air. I know little about an oil bath air cleaner but you could have a wasp nest or something in there blocking air flow. I'd check that out carefully. The glow plugs could be good but may not be getting power. Put a meter on a glow plug and see if you get voltage there when you energize the glow plugs.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Some of the early diesels started with throttle and as soon as it caught, the rack moved back to idle. That's why you would see the puff of black smoke immediately on starting. When you turn the key to just run, not start, do you hear a click? That is usually the solenoid valve on the injection pump opening.

So with it not starting and everything tight (injector lines) does the engine just crank and no fire? When it cranks, are you seeing white smoke coming out of the exhaust? If so then it is fueling. Have you added fuel to it recently and then experienced this starting problem?

Are you trying to start the tractor with the throttle at IDLE? Try putting the throttle up a bit. This may be beyond your ability but I would STRONGLY suggest checking the valve clearances. Tight valves can cause the engine to lose compression while cranking thus not generating enough heat in the cylinder to fire the fuel. I ran into this problem with many Mercedes diesels. Loosened up the tight valves, made sure all the glow plugs worked and the engines fired right up stone cold.

Last edited:

wpg9210

Equipment
L260
Oct 3, 2019
Waterford Works, NJ
It does have some white smoke from the exhaust. Not much. Should there be a significant amount? I have been trying to start at idle.

Another question. What are the 3 key switch positions other than off?

Checking the valve clearances is beyond my experience at this point. At least for now.

Thanks again.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It does have some white smoke from the exhaust. Not much. Should there be a significant amount? I have been trying to start at idle.

Another question. What are the 3 key switch positions other than off?

Checking the valve clearances is beyond my experience at this point. At least for now.

Thanks again.
Your question concerning the key switch positions makes me wonder if you know how to preheat the glow plugs.

See attached page from a different model's key switch. Yours may be the same.

Are you seeing the glow indicator glowing red?

Dave

Attachments

wpg9210

Equipment
L260
Oct 3, 2019
Waterford Works, NJ
So no. The glow indicator does glow red. However the tractor has a key switch and a start switch. Left on the start switch should be preheat for the glow plugs, and right is to engage the starter. I took them out and turned it to preheat and got a little smoke off them.

I'm just not sure if the other key switch positions do anything different or if they are all just on. The wires on the key switch are to the lights and the ignition.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are really four positions (if it is like my L185):
All the way left turns off the electrical system.
First to the right turns on the electrical system.
Next position turns on the headlights (low beam?)
Last position turns on the headlights on high beam.

I may have the low and high beam positions reversed but there is little difference between being off or on high beam, they are very dim lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I have a new Kubota L2501 and an old Mitsubishi D2350. Both came with a key switch having four distinct positions. You may insert or remove your key from the off position. Turning the key to the left activates the glow plugs. Turning the switch to the right is the run position. The next step to the right activates the starter. To start the old Mitsubishi I give it full fuel as that activates a mechanical linkage equivalent to a choke on a gasoline engine. I turn the key to the left to heat the glow plugs in cooler weather. This is usually thirty to sixty seconds by my watch. I then turn the key to the start position. If the air cleaner is clean and I have fuel it will then start. When it fires I back the throttle down to about 1000 rpm to warm for a bit. Initially this one has some white smoke out the exhaust, clearing as it warms. The old Mitsubishi is probably more similar to your Kubota than my new tractor.

wpg9210

Equipment
L260
Oct 3, 2019
Waterford Works, NJ
Also. This may be a problem or not. There are two dipsticks on the injection pump. Left one is good and has clean oil. The right one is missing, I think has been broken off in the hole. What type oil would you use here?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk