L2550 gst only moves in 1st through 4th

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
I have an L2550 GST with 2000 hrs it only moves in 1st through 4 th gear and is pretty weak in those 4 gears power steering still works. Once you put the least little load on it it will stall out and stop in its tracks. Any thoughts on a place to start checking.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like it could be a mechanical clutch issue.
Most likely a burned out clutch. ;)
If you have a PTO implement, and it stops turning too, then it's a clutch issue.

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
Thats what im leaning torwards after reading the post where someone else lost 5,6,7,8 gear and adjusted the clutch and got them back but they had no power. I tried to adjust it last night and didnt get much improvement but may have a little. This problem progressively got worse over along period so i would say the clutch is gone. Which doesnt surprise we have had this tractor since i was young and we have work the dog crap out of it. Only pto tool i have that i could try is a bush hog or backhoe i dont if just trying to mow would stall the pto or not

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Separating your tractor to install the new clutch isn't too complicated if you have some mechanical ability, space and time. Probably have a couple hundred dollars in parts and the satisfaction of doing the work yourself, and understanding your tractor better. Really no special tools needed, and you can get all the coaching you want here.

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
That was my next question if there was gonna be any special tools. My bigger concern was tearing it down to replace a clutch and it not be it. Does anyone think there is a chance the S speed cable assembly could be any of my issue. Seems like the threads relating to the S speed cable lost everything but like 4 and 8 th or something along those lines.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I can guarantee you it's not the shift cable, you would loose all gears if that was the issue.

There is a very remote possibility that you have an internal GST (hydraulic) clutch / shifter issue, but when I say remote, I mean in the 1000 to 1 odds range. ;)

Saying that it came on slow and over time 100% points to normal mechanical clutch wear. ;)

Note: Just so you or others are not confused, Your tractor has 2 clutches for the drive, a mechanical clutch and a hydraulic clutch, they both do the same things but differently.

Last edited:

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
I like to hear that glad to have found someone with some knowledge on these. I was aware of the hydraulic clutch. Im hoping it ends up being the mechanical clutch and the old girl comes back to life love this little tractor. Its not your everyday collector or rare one of kind but ive put 90% of the 2000 hrs on her with my grandpa. It was grandpas answer to everything his pride and joy he has since passed and I am determined to get this back going its got alot of sentimental value to me.

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
Well yesterday i got my l2550 gst in the shop started pulling things to get closer to splitting today dropped the oil out of transmission case and the front drain plug magnet had a few metal shavings not bad but there was 2 balls from a bearing. So maybe i have bigger issues than a clutch back plug was clean not any shavings really to speak of

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Post a picture of the ball bearings, it could be that they are the detent balls from the rotary shifter, did you pull the E-clip off of the shifter assembly ?
If they are you will need to pull the side cover.

Last edited:

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
Not sure how to get picture on here off my phone ive pulled the side cover nothing looks out of place to me i was scared id see gears and all sorts of pieces gears loom good i dont belive i pulled the clip you mentioned

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
NIW after talking to my brother there is a slight chance my grandpa could have pulled that clip off when he pulled the side cover off to replace orings. How complicated is that rotary valve if i pull that clip and see if the detent balls are missing in it. I would think if they came from a bearing i would have more misses of bearing then just two balls and minimal shavings. Im gonna try to get a picture of them on here today if i can figure it out on a computer.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Im thinking along the line if those were bearing parts you would find a lot more than 2 balls stuck to the magnet.
Thankfully MR Wolfman knows his stuff and may have first hand knowledge of these transmissions.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The rotary valve is very easy to work on.
I'm not sure, those also could be detent balls for the PTO shifter?

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
Wolfman where is the pto shifter for sure is it towards the clutch or back towards the rear of transmision case. Not sure what I am looking for there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm thinking your going to need to dive into it and find out if everything is intact inside.
I could guess all day as to where or why there are ball bearings in there and where they came from.

Before you get in any deeper do you have the WSM for the tractor?
If not you'll need to get it, sorry, but there is not a free or cheap download of it out there.
The WSM will give you a complete breakdown of what is inside and how to repair it.

http://www.messicks.com/part/97897-10066/l2250-l2550gst-l2850gst-l3250-shop-manual

The PTO shifter detent ball.

Attachments

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
Tonight I investigated the rotary valve and pto detent ball. Rotary valve didnt have any balls I assume they go on top of the springs. Pto detent ball was there I do need to get the correct wsm used to have one but its disappeared.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So that explains the ball bearings, I thought they were the rotary valve detent check balls. ;)

Have you split it yet to check the clutch condition?

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
No I kinda stopped to see where the bearings came from and to decide how severe things were. That is my next step hopefully by the weekend I will have it split. Not much left to disassemble to have it ready to split so shouldnt take long.