L2501DT

L2501dt

Jun 5, 2020
Connecticut
Anyone have a L2501dt or similar 33 3901 dt (not an hst) that runs a brush cutter? When shifting from forward to reverse while the pto is engaged do you idle the cutter down or leave it idled up at 2k rpm and change directions. Seems a little weird to be leaving it idled up when releasing the clutch.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Any time I'm engaging or re-engaging the PTO I lower the RPMs to idle speed. I think this is good practice whether hydro or not.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
im not engage or disengaging the pto. I am going from forward to reverse while the pto is already engaged.
If you are using the clutch to move from forward to reverse are you not stopping the PTO? My PTO stops when the clutch is engaged and I don't switch from forward to reverse at 2,000 rpms without the clutch.

If the PTO stops with the clutch then it is not engaged.

Last edited:

tawood

Equipment
L2501
Apr 18, 2020
Lapeer, MI
I have a 2019 L2501DT, and I've been using it to brush hog this year. I don't let down the RPMs when switching from forward to reverse...why would you? You shift from forward to reverse with the clutch in, so RPMs don't matter.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I have a 2019 L2501DT, and I've been using it to brush hog this year. I don't let down the RPMs when switching from forward to reverse...why would you? You shift from forward to reverse with the clutch in, so RPMs don't matter.
Okay. Here is the issue. When you engage (which means going from "not spinning, to spinning") the PTO you want to be at the lowest RPMs. When you engage the clutch to shift gears the PTO stops spinning--its no longer engaged. If you let the clutch back out at 2000 RPMs you are now putting tremendous pressure on the PTO going from 0 to 540 RPMs instantly (or close to that).

It has nothing to do with shifting gears or direction, you are correct on that. It has to do with strain on the PTO and implement.

Reactions: 1 user

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Depends on what type of PTO you have, but according to Kubota the L2501DT has a transmission type PTO so if I understand that correctly you should idle down, depress clutch, change gears, release clutch, and increase back to operating speed. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm sure the owner's manual will have the correct operating procedure.

tawood

Equipment
L2501
Apr 18, 2020
Lapeer, MI
Okay. Here is the issue. When you engage (which means going from "not spinning, to spinning") the PTO you want to be at the lowest RPMs. When you engage the clutch to shift gears the PTO stops spinning--its no longer engaged. If you let the clutch back out at 2000 RPMs you are now putting tremendous pressure on the PTO going from 0 to 540 RPMs instantly (or close to that).

It has nothing to do with shifting gears or direction, you are correct on that. It has to do with strain on the PTO and implement.
I've owned several kubotas over 30 years. Never have I slowed the throttle down to change gears. Never wore out a PTO either. Maybe they make them weaker now, IDK, but I'll be the test case...I'm too old to change my ways. And if you want to see strain on a PTO, you should see what I've done with a post hole digger, or my rototiller, LOL. I have gone through a bucket of shear bolts for both!

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
If you are using a brush cutter on a L2501DT or L3301DT I wouldn't think the brush cutter would slow down enough to make letting the clutch out after shifting directions would make that much difference.

Just so you know, the L3901DT has a dual stage clutch, so you can clutch to change direction without loosing power to the PTO.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
That is a big reason why I opted for the hst.. alot of my use was to mow, and having to engage disengage the pto whenever going into reverse was a big turnoff. Very happy with the l2501 hst

L2501dt

Jun 5, 2020
Connecticut
This is a big negative with the L2501DT and the entry level clutch. And Bush hogging is so much easier with the HST
how is brush hogging so much easier with an hst? I bought the tractor specifically for brush hogging. Literally pick a gear set idle to 540 rpm and put your feet up. No need to hold the pedal like an hst unless you have cc.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
how is brush hogging so much easier with an hst? I bought the tractor specifically for brush hogging. Literally pick a gear set idle to 540 rpm and put your feet up. No need to hold the pedal like an hst unless you have cc.
When you need to shift back and forth to trim or small areas the PTO speed does not drop at all. It a heavy area lift the foot up and the the tractor slows down but the PTO stays at the cutting speed. A gear drive would be nice if there were no variables to worry about. No I changed my mind, I can not think of a place that I would want a gear over a HST. You could not pry my L2501 HST out of my cold dead hand.

Reactions: 1 users

L2501dt

Jun 5, 2020
Connecticut
When you need to shift back and forth to trim or small areas the PTO speed does not drop at all. It a heavy area lift the foot up and the the tractor slows down but the PTO stays at the cutting speed. A gear drive would be nice if there were no variables to worry about. No I changed my mind, I can not think of a place that I would want a gear over a HST. You could not pry my L2501 HST out of my cold dead hand.
I am the opposite. The fields i cut i can go forward all 5 acres. Very rarely do i need to go on reverse unless i choose to. Thats why i bought the dt. Pick a gear and go

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you need ptohp and pulling power at the same time doing field work the DT is way better.

Kubota should be ashamed of themselves for taking away features from DT tractors. By doing so they either force you to get a hst or do without.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
^^Pretty sure Kubota *wants* you to get the HST. A manual is more work, but does give you more PTO power from the same engine. I really liked my GlideShift Kubota when I had it...kind of the best of both worlds...but HST is easy.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Sounds like you made the right choice with your gear drive. Both have obvious advantages over the other. And I know my following comments are not directly related to your original question.
I contemplated for a long time before deciding HST over gear for my applications. With my HST, while bush hogging or finish mowing, I can slightly or substantially slow down when turning at the end of a field, approaching a heavily grass/brushed area, or possibly a rough area in the field, while maintaining full PTO speed. Ive had gear drive tractors in years past, and not to diminish the practicality of a gear drive in any way, but my L2501 HST is my first HST, and I dont think I will ever return to gear.
I just wanted to share my experience and again, sounds like you made the right choice, and hope you have many hours of uninterrupted and safe operation.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
On gear tractors, I miss the slow rpm engine chugging along, being able to move without the high rev. HST whine.

I was just about to buy a gear L2800 when the wife spoke up and we ended up with the HST and I'm so glad we did!!

Last edited:

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
I was reluctant when I got the new 3301 hst but am glad I did because the wife can operate with ease. They both have their advantages. Gear drive has more pto and pulling power but the hst is easy to get around and forward/back without clutch and ideling down and all that. For the long haul mowing they have a cruise control for the hst if needed. My main complaint about hst is how loud the whine is. :(