L2501 Transmission Oil Level

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I have the manual transmission with a sightglass. After tractor is warmed up, the fluid looks like a vanilla milkshake and bubbles are rising in it. Little bubbles but quite a few. Shut down the tractor and bubbles stop.

Is this normal ?

Thanks , Pete:confused:

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Thanks teg. I will check the hoses out tomorrow and also the clamps. FEL works great. No jerkiness at all. 3 PT works fine also. (I have not used the FEL with a load on it yet)
This is the new tractor. Liking it much better than the 3301. Easier to shift. The forward reverse selector on the 3301 was a pain. This thing is easy. Just can't go as fast in reverse, but I don't need to go fast in reverse.
Big thing is I am not dreading the regen every time I get on it..ha ha.
Thanks for the advice.
Pete;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Some "foaming" is normal, the gears will whip it up pretty good in the transmission.
What you see through the sight glass is the top portion of the fluid, the hydraulic system gets it's fluid from the bottom of the sump and in-trained air will tend to not go that deep.

Quick and easy test, with tractor parked and settled for some time check fluid level, note height and clarity.
Drive it around a couple of min operate the loader and the three point, bring it back to the same point, look at the sight glass, and watch it for about a min, does it clear up or start to clear up?
If it does then you don't have any issues, it's just normal operation.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
It's a bran new tractor. 1 hour on it. I let is site overnite and the site glass is white/vanilla color today.
I checked all the suction areas and no leaks seen. Did see a few drops on the hose block by the hyd filter. It was tite tho.
I called the dealer and they are picking it up Wed. Told the service guy and he said right away they were coming to get it. (Maybe been having some water or something ???)
Thank you guys for your advice. I will give a full report of the goings on here as soon as I find out.
Pete:eek:

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
White oil sounds like water. Is it possible to insert a small hose to the bottom of the transmission case after it sits and siphon a little oil to check for water?

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Could only (far as I know) open drain plug to check for water....but since they coming for it....I will let them have all the fun...ha ha ha.
I will ask them what the problem was after they fix it ! I will let you guys know.
Thanks Pete:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Some site glasses have a white background. It's something to take into consideration when checking your oil level.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok this might sound odd, but you do know that there is a white background to the sight glass. ;)

EDIT: My post sat in cue too long, Daren beat me to it.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's an example. Clean oil, white background ;)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Not sure what you are using for oil... but that's pretty dark IMO.

Mine is so clear that the site glass is almost useless.

(I need to pick up some red die...)
That oil is actually 30wt non detergent. Vender for my bulk tank at work uses a honey colored die in it. My 15w40 is a shade darker. And my biodegradable hydraulic oil is almost clear.

Used to use a bulk vender that put a purple die in there 15w40. Apparently he had a couple customers that had employees that were illiterate and kept mixing up the oils. This way they knew to use the purple oil for the engines :rolleyes: Had to quit using him though when I would ship equipment to another branch and they would panic about the color of the oil :p

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
That oil is actually 30wt non detergent. Vender for my bulk tank at work uses a honey colored die in it. My 15w40 is a shade darker. And my biodegradable hydraulic oil is almost clear.

Used to use a bulk vender that put a purple die in there 15w40. Apparently he had a couple customers that had employees that were illiterate and kept mixing up the oils. This way they knew to use the purple oil for the engines :rolleyes: Had to quit using him though when I would ship equipment to another branch and they would panic about the color of the oil :p
That would explain the work order for my new truck tires! I looked at the sheet as it was being written up, and it said "lavendar torque". Now lavendar is my favorite color...when I asked, the service manager just said we color code the wrenches.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That would explain the work order for my new truck tires! I looked at the sheet as it was being written up, and it said "lavendar torque". Now lavendar is my favorite color...when I asked, the service manager just said we color code the wrenches.
Yup, grey is 100 ft/lbs. The light greenish one is 140 ft/lbs. Not sure what the lavender one is :rolleyes: only got the two I needed for work. They come labeled in NM and ft/lbs. But it is easier just to look for the color you need :D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok this is an odd one:
Looks like they did 130lbs, Lavender / Purple / Brown.
But factor and spec for her truck calls for 140 ft LBS. ;)
Which would be Aqua or what Daren would call "light greenish one". :D

I will note: That there seams to be some variances in what colors equals what torque. ;)

Last edited:

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
All ok with my tractor. I called this AM and cancelled the trip to the shop for it.
I could see the oil in the site glass this AM and after draining a bit out, the level is ok. Just a few tiny bubbles when running. No water in what I drained out, it looked good. Talked to service Mgr. and told him I think it's ok and he said he thinks so but will get it taken care of if needed. I will quit looking at it so much....ha ha ha
Thanks for all suggestions and help
Pete:eek:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Ok this is an odd one:

Looks like they did 130lbs, Lavender / Purple / Brown.

But factor and spec for her truck calls for 140 ft LBS. ;)

Which would be Aqua or what Daren would call "light greenish one". :D

I will note: That there seams to be some variances in what colors equals what torque. ;)

They often use the air powered wrenches to get close then finish-up with a real hand powered torque wrench.

Not sure that is for show or accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk