L2501 Reclaiming My Meadows

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
As the proud owner of a new Kubota and mower I thought I'd share..... Previous owner of the adjacent property I purchased cut the 4 small meadows maybe twice a year before I bought it three years ago. Since then I've only cut two of them 2 years ago and that with my Zero turn. Needless to say they were getting pretty grown up and I decided that I'd start cutting them all down once late Summer rather than let it tree in. With that in mind I bought a flail mower for my new L2501 and with 15 hours on the tractor (just doing FEL tasks) and 0 on the new mower which just arrived, here is what I've been doing the last couple days. I am really satisfied with this tractor and the mower.

TiftTyson

Equipment
2018 L2501 HST, LA 525 Loader, Landpride Rotary Cutter, Box Blades;Bush Hog Til
Mar 24, 2018
ATHENS, GA
The quality of the job looks great. So with the flail mower you set the height and let the mower roll along the contour of the ground? How does the L2501 handle the really think grass and brush?

I have 174 hours on an L2501 since March of 2018. It is an impressive machine.

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
I really like our WoodMaxx FM78 flail with hammers. I put it on our B3200 and have little trouble chewing through the prairie grass and brush in our 7 acre field. I also used it to chew a path through a wooded area that had not been cleared in 15 years.

I only wish we would have ordered the FM 96H to mount on our Kubota M59. It would make the field job a lot less time consuming.

Digger

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Looks nice Oliver. What I cut with a flail is much taller and thicker, although just grass. The 2501 gets through that too, although I am using a 4-foot flail.

I really love the 2501. I think it punches above it's weight class quite well.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
The quality of the job looks great. So with the flail mower you set the height and let the mower roll along the contour of the ground? How does the L2501 handle the really think grass and brush?

I have 174 hours on an L2501 since March of 2018. It is an impressive machine.
I have it set so the rear is on its roller (in its highest position) with the front raised slightly.
Mine has the Y knives with a center blade and seems to cut thick grass and brush under 1" just fine, I am in low range going pretty slow though. I like how it mulches everything up.

I know we're supposed to break it at lower throttle settings for the first 25 hours and mine only has 15 hours now, hope I'm not hurting it.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I have it set so the rear is on its roller (in its highest position) with the front raised slightly.
Mine has the Y knives with a center blade and seems to cut thick grass and brush under 1" just fine, I am in low range going pretty slow though. I like how it mulches everything up.

I know we're supposed to break it at lower throttle settings for the first 25 hours and mine only has 15 hours now, hope I'm not hurting it.
I have run mine on full throttle from right away as well. Given that this engine is governed to run at 2200RPM max, while the very similar L3301 engine can run several hundred RPM higher, I'd say you're not hurting a thing.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Just started to do the same thing on my new property, 45 Acres with a road running thru the middle.
Bought it last summer and have been renovating the old house and working the other 23 Acres by the house. Yesterday started to knock down the Golden Rod and other grasses that have taken over on the other side, they were higher the cab on the B3200 in some spots.
Using a 5ft Landpride cutter, just cut some clear trails to run the UTV in to Deer Hunt back there for now. in the spring i'll mow it down in the spring and reclaim it. The neighbors have told s it hasn't been cut in 10years, can't wait to find what's hiding in there for me to hit. https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Last edited:

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
The PO previously cut yours even if it was 10 years ago so hopefully he already dealt with any outcropping rock, stumps, and fence wire. Then again I guess he could have just mowed around them..... better take it easy.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
The PO previously cut yours even if it was 10 years ago so hopefully he already dealt with any outcropping rock, stumps, and fence wire. Then again I guess he could have just mowed around them..... better take it easy.
Yea, already replaced the blades after hitting a guide tie for a radio antenna they had, field rocks and stumps. Of course all un-marked.
Getting good at sharping the blades with a grinder and sanding disk.

Do wish I still had access to my old Bridgeport Mill to do them up correctly, though.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I hope I don't have to replace any blades but we'll see, I have a lot more to work on. Did order a couple extra sets with the from Woodmax which came with the mower.