L2501 Owners with tillers

BHampton

Equipment
L2501 HST w/525FEL
Feb 11, 2021
Illinois
What size/type/brand tiller do you use with your L2501? And what do you like/not like about it?

I have found a King Kutter TG-G-60 at a good price, but am concerned this model may be oversized for my L2501 HST.
It is a gear-driven, forward rotation, 7 flange/6 tines per flange, 60"width weighing in approx. 650 lbs. Primary use would be in both broken and un-broken sandy soil.

Is this too much tiller for my L2501? It falls right at the bottom of the recommended HP...

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I rented a John Deere 60 inch tiller to do some sod repairs in a football field. With the tiller set to do to the full depth of the cut, the tractor in low range the engine did not even "pull down" when the tiller was dropped into the soil. We did go slow as we were cutting out areas that were outlined with spray paint and the contractor did not want to buy extra sod.

This is in Florida with sandy soil but the soil worked up beautifully.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Not on a 2501, but on my L3200 I run a 5ft county line. It can be set up for forward or reverse rotation, I set it for reverse. Pulls with no problem in the hard clay we have here. Gear drive tractor in low 1. Can bog it a little if you go to aggressive, suspect with a HST and forward rotation it would be fine on the 2501.

Parrothead127

Equipment
L2501 with FEL
Apr 3, 2021
East of Atlanta
You should be fine with it, I’ve seen a lot of YouTube videos of people with L2501 pulling a 5’ tiller. I’ve been using a 4’ tiller with a 16 HP Massey Ferguson for years. Wind up the RPM‘s an you should be fine. I just ordered an L2501 Saturday, gear drive, FEL. I didn’t want to deal with regin, but did want the 33 HP I just couldn’t pull the trigger. Where I work we have a forklift with the regin, it’s been nothing but trouble always broken down. The L2501 has a dead PTO, meaning it doesn’t spin until the clutch is let out. When using the tiller, raise it up get it spinning and then drop it into the soil. I see too many people put it in the ground and then start it up, not good. When you get to the end of your till just raise it up let continue to spin as you turn around. I will say it will do better and be less strain on the tractor and tiller if you plow up the ground first. You’ll be in creeper gear so you’ll have plenty of time to get it in the ground where you want it. Good luck with it!

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I just bought a 58” reverse rotation for my 2501DT. It works fine. The Kubota dealer suggested the 66” version and have no doubt it would also work. My garden is kind of tight so went with the more narrow 58” version. I wish though I would have bought a forward rotation model as I am now using it to till up virgin soil around my place to plant grass seed. I am finding rocks, buried stumps, etc and the reverse rotation doesn’t play well with buried obstacles.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I have a lighter tractor, but same HP. I drag around a LP RTA (forward rotating) 1558 with zero issues. No way I’d want anything smaller, as it covers my tracks well. Your 2501’is a hair wider than my B2650, but you’ll still be covered.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
BHampton,

I have that same model, but branded as Rural King by King Kutter. For sandy soil, it should be great. I have awful clay here and at times I have to go slow, but it is no problem. You can go as slow as want with the HST. And, if you hit something like a big root, you can quickly clutch it to stop the tiller from spinning and lift it up off the obstruction.

BHampton

Equipment
L2501 HST w/525FEL
Feb 11, 2021
Illinois
Thank you all for the input. It appears rotary tillers are scarce as hens teeth! At least in my area. Every dealer has the same story..."we have them on order, but manufacturers cannot give us a ship date". A local Kubota dealer told me they had a semi-load of LandPride equipment, including tillers, coming the first week of February...that has now turned into "maybe June".

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
it looks like you are covered up with Rural Kings up there. I think they are based there. The Rural King by King Kutter tiller is the same model as the one you want, just branded Rural King. I would be willing to believe they would have one in stock at one of the stores up there.

This is the one I have: