L2501 over Mahindra 2638

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
These are the two models I was cross-shopping. I little unfair, I know because stats-wise the Mahindra is more aligned with the 3901 but I told Mahindra dealer if all was equal, then Kubota wins. So, I was price-comparing the L2501 (with FEL, Scraper, and Rotary Mower) against the 2638. On a cash deal, the 2638 worked out to be ~$2K more and I arguably would have really considered it worth it.... but a few things turned me back to the L2501.

L2501 Pros:
Brand reputation
Resale value
Consistent build quality
DEALER
0% for 84 mos is free money

Mahindra 2638 Pros:
Bigger, heavier machine
That seat! Arm rests!
MUCH higher FEL rating
More HP
NO emissions
True hydrostat steering (unlike 2501)
Cup holder, power outlet, flat rubber-lined floor, tilt steering

BUT...

1) To get 0% 60 mos, you need to add $2000 to the Mahindra price - making the price gap ~$4,000.
2) The Mahindra dealer is really a trailer sales company.... and not sure they even know what an ECU is. God forbid, I would want/need an ECU update let alone anything more serious.

So, I bought the L2501.... and anxiously awaiting its arrival!!

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum, and good choice.
There was a Mahindra dealership around here. It lasted a couple of years, and is now gone. The Kubota dealership was here then, still is, and still will be for the distant future. I can't imagine taking the risk and buying a Mahindra, to then be stuck with no support.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
I can't imagine taking the risk and buying a Mahindra, to then be stuck with no support.
And speaks to the value of this forum. The importance of the dealer to be able to stand behind and support their product has been (thankfully) hammered into me by this forum.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
How does Mahindra get away with having no emissions?
Probably the same way Harley has not transitioned to water cooled. They tuned the bikes to run with as little of fuel as possible to pass inspections. Then the end consumer has to spend the extra $2k to make it run like it should have all along. I am not bitter I own one lol. Maybe the last though unless they change their ways. Not looking good.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
The sales story is that Mahindra invested $30M into their new emissions technology and they DO meet emissions but they do it with a catalyst that doesn't require DEF and there is no re-gens. I DID do a lot of research and read a lot of user experiences and owners seem to be quite happy with these motors.

I did have my heart set on the 2638 and still believe it is a good machine... but with no serious dealer nearby and the "price with financing" gap of ~$4K, I couldn't pull the trigger.

I'm sure I will be real happy with the L2501.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I believe they run a catalyst, and they tune it to run quite hot in the exhaust. There are those who say it's basically a choice between running hot exhaust all the time to burn off soot (as Mahindra do), or having a regen cycle that runs normally most of the time, but then has to run a very hot regen cycle once in a while. All emissions controls have impacts, the different impacts probably work better or worse with particular uses. I'd expect some arrangements are happier when run at high revs most of the time, others are set up better for loader work and similar where your revs are up and down a lot.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
I believe they use EGR on their engines too. They recycle exhaust gas back into the engine to reburn. That way u always get dirty exhaust in your engine. That don't really sound that great. IMO...

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
I believe they use EGR on their engines too. They recycle exhaust gas back into the engine to reburn. That way u always get dirty exhaust in your engine. That don't really sound that great. IMO...
Kubota has an EGR system also.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Thanks for the explanation guys.

Sounds like you made the right decision with Kubota. Around here they are priced more identically and the local dealer to me is a 4wheeler shop. I hope they could work on the tractors they sell, but who knows. I***8217;m not a fan of how they look either. Very generic.

I will say the Mahindra Roxor is a pretty slick machine though.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. At this current slice of time, I think Mahindra has made a huge investment and they have a better system in their 25-40HP motors. (I didn't research anything above this.) To wit, when I talked to the Kubota sales guy about stepping up to the 3301, he cited the fact that they were occasionally having to send their guys out to the fields with a laptop to get these tractors running again. Not sure how much is Kubotas fault or operators not following instructions.... but I don't want to have to follow special instructions. When I'm on the tractor, I want to focus on the task at hand.

This Kubota dealer also has a rental fleet of what looked to be about 20 2501's. He said they were reluctant to add any of the DPF machines just because of the added procedures that operators must follow (and rental folks probably wouldn't).

Again, I'm happy with my decision - and I fully respect anyone who has chosen a DPF model as I'm confident that you can make them work very well for your situation. The folks on this forum seem very informed and "eyes wide open" in making the decisions best for them.

Undoubtedly, Mahindra has some areas to pick on - the motor is not one of them, IMHO.