L2501 glow plug key position?

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
Just wondering what key position warms the glow plugs. If I turn my key slightly to the left from the off position the glow plug indicator light comes on. If I turn it all the way to the left I can hear an audible click, and the glow plug light plus a couple other lights come on. Should I only turn the key till just the glow plug indicator comes on, or should I be turning it all the way to left? Also, should I use my GPs in the summer? Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All the way to the left and you shouldn't have to use the GP's in the summer.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
From the manual:

For the appropriate preheating time, refer to the table
below:

Temperature Preheating Time
Over 0 (32 ) 2 to 3 sec.
0 to -5 (32 to 23 ) 5 sec.
-5 to -15 (23 to 5 ) 10 sec.

Reactions: 1 user

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
You can also turn the key slightly to the right and the glow plugs will heat up, just a bit more and the starter engages.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
You can also turn the key slightly to the right and the glow plugs will heat up, just a bit more and the starter engages.
This is not accurate for the L2501. The glow plugs only warm when fully to the left, and the key has to be held there manually.

From page 15 of the L2501 manual:

Attachments

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
What this thread tell us is.... READ your OWNER’S MANUAL... One of my Kubotas requires the key be turned and held to the LEFT for the prescribed period.... the other Kubota requires the key be turned half-way to the RIGHT for the prescribed period, before turning it further right to the start-position.
In both cases those are the ONLY positions in which the GP indicator illuminates.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
This is not accurate for the L2501.....
It sure is for mine in spite of what the owners manual says. There's a small sweet spot and you don't turn much for it. In order to find it for the first time turn the key slightly and very slowly until the glow plug indicator lights up, hold it there until ready to start then turn just a bit farther to activate the starter.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It sure is for mine in spite of what the owners manual says. There's a small sweet spot and you don't turn much for it. In order to find it for the first time turn the key slightly and very slowly until the glow plug indicator lights up, hold it there until ready to start then turn just a bit farther to activate the starter.
You may have a defective key switch?

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
That means your key switch is malfunctioning. The glow plugs are only meant to fire when to the far left, and thats the advice folks should be told, not that your particular tractor has a little quirk and you can make them fire in some other position if you get it just right. You can throw breakers in some older houses too if you play with the light switches, try to hold them right at the on/off cut off point and you will hear eletrical buzzing in the box. Even if your tractor has such a quirk I wouldn't make use of it personally.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
No not a quirk I learned this from others with L2501’s. Are you saying it doesn’t work on yours?
Never tried it. I'm in Florida so I rarely ever use glow plugs. The times I do use it I use it as the manual explains it - to the left and hold for a few seconds. Its just a flick of the key for 2-3 seconds so its not a big deal either way.