L2501 Finish/Grooming Mower - FDR2584 too big???

BD-KUB

Equipment
L2501 HST, G2000
Jan 18, 2021
Pelham, On
My dealer has a lightly used Land Pride FDR2584 (84") Mower for sale. Is this too much mower for my L2501 PTO? I have approximately 5 acres of grass to cut and its very flat.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My dealer has a lightly used Land Pride FDR2584 (84") Mower for sale. Is this too much mower for my L2501 PTO? I have approximately 5 acres of grass to cut and its very flat.
At 20 hp at the PTO ...... that is pushing that machine over the magic 5 hp per foot ratio......

I am sure it will spin it - and I am sure it will cut!!!!

BUT how high the grass and how fast you move it is whole another situation!!

I think you are over cooking the grits with that 7 footer!

Reactions: 3 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I agree with Hokie on this one. I'd shop for a smaller mower or a bigger tractor. The PTO would probably get the mower up to speed but much resistance from the grass could slow it down or stall the tractor.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Another vote on it being too big, I think matching the attachment to your PTO HP is important for good attachment performance, especially on cutting type attachments.
Good luck finding a better suited size finish mower.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Does the dealer know what tractor you plan to run the mower on??? Does he think it will work?

I have an L2800 (23.5 pto hp) and I could run a 7 footer (doesn't even know a 72" is even back there). If the grass isn't high and you don't drive too fast, you might can run it but pretty iffy.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a an ancient Steiner tractor powered by a Kubota D950 diesel pushing a very heavily built 72" mower. I think the engine is 21HP and the entire contraption weighs about 2,000 pounds. The previous owner put the larger than perhaps recommended deck on it. My property has some very steep sections, that's why I bought this thing. I will say that little engine is a beast. Cuts beautifully and fast. I am confident if I was on the level cutting say 6 inch high grass I could go up a size in deck to 84" ( they don't make them) without a problem. Thats been my experience.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Our place has some grades to deal with when mowing. If everything was flat, it would be a different story with regard to HP and deck width. In my experience, the width of the cut is only part of the puzzle. The weight of the deck is a large piece.

For example, I had a LandPride 5 footer on a B7500HST (17 PTO HP). It was definitely the upper limit of what that tractor could handle. It mowed OK in HI gear but struggled some on the hills. The tractor only had two speeds, and a third range would have been useful.

I have a Ford 1210HST (13.5 PTO HP) with a Caroni 5 footer and it feels like the Ford isn't working very hard at all. This also has two ranges, but has so much "grunt" for its size that I never felt the need for a third range. Does hills in HI just fine.

With some spare time one day, I wanted to see how the tractors would work with the 5' RFM's swapped. The Kubota handled the lighter 5' Caroni deck like a little toy. On the other hand, the heavier LandPride deck handled the Ford. Tough pulling and wheelies (even with the two weights on the front end).

Other's I have / had were:

An L3200HST (25.2 PTO HP) with a 6' LandPride RFM. Seemed like a fairly good matchup, but certainly not overpowered for that deck. This is the first tractor I had with a three range trans, and even so there were times when it would have been nice to have more of a selection. A range that fell between MED and HI would have been very handy.

An L4240 HSTC (35 PTO HP) with a 7-1/2' Caroni RFM. Plenty of power for that deck. Best combo yet, and the HST+ sure makes it user-friendly by essentially providing 6 forward ranges. It mows well in HI and for some hills tapping the lever to alternate between the two ranges takes care of it.

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
That’s the same mower I run behind my tractor with 35 pto hp. I cut my grass at 4 inches high and usually once a week. In areas that the grass grows thick, I do have to slow down a bit. But this is basically an old pasture that is hilly and mix of thick grass and old hay that I mow to keeps the ticks at bay. I would be nervous with 20 pto hp on this type of area.

‘Having said that, the land pride website suggest 15hp minimum. So technically you are with their specifications. Also, these are rear discharge mowers which helps to quickly discharge the grass so they really don’t drag down the power too bad. So maybe on a flat lawn that is mowed frequently and only cutting a minimal amount of grass, it may be ok. But if it were me, I’d look for a smaller mower deck.

you may try reaching out to landpride and ask them.

BD-KUB

Equipment
L2501 HST, G2000
Jan 18, 2021
Pelham, On
Does the dealer know what tractor you plan to run the mower on??? Does he think it will work?

I have an L2800 (23.5 pto hp) and I could run a 7 footer (doesn't even know a 72" is even back there). If the grass isn't high and you don't drive too fast, you might can run it but pretty iffy.
I haven't talked to them about it yet. I just saw it on their website and wanted to know if anyone had real work experience with this combo. I always planned on getting a 72" mower but for an almost new 84" mower priced less than a new 72", I figured it was worth inquiring!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think it depends on how often you cut and when you start. If you start in the Winter and keep up, you’ll probably not have much of an issue. If you start when it is 3 ft, that will probably be more of a problem.

Fwiw, my dealer suggested a 6 ft for my L2501. I expect to mostly mow once per year since it is really dry here with just a bit of touch up on some trails otherwise. My property is not flat.

As others have suggested, I’d go for it, and like I said, start early and keep up.