L2501 ... A REAL Tractor

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
I was at Messick's yesterday (Elizabethtown)(sunday) just to look around without salesman. Wow, I didn't realize how much bigger and thicker everything (axles, etc.) is on L2501's compared to the 26hp B50 and B01 tractors. I know they are around 1000lbs+- more than B's. There was an L2501 next to a B2650. It makes B tractors look like toys. Now I can see why L2501's are so popular, they fall under the emission radar but give you better capability and function. Even though only 26hp, they have a 100 cu in engine and 70 ft. lb. of torque. Messick's is like a Big Boys Toy Store. More Orange tractors than you can shake a stick at.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
While a B2650 (or now LX) is similar length and height to an L01 series there is a definite increases in weight, the L is just built heavier. Also an L01 is noticeably wider. My B2650 was 53" outside tread to outside tread while an L2501 is 58" so more stable in ruts or hills which is the main reason I traded. Even so I added 2" spacers so now at 62" wide it's very planted on hills.
But keep in mind there are some scenarios where you may not want extra weight such as mowing or trailering it.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
:D

Also, bigger doesn't necessarily make it better. The darn rain has moved in again, but I have accomplished so much work with my little L2501 last week just using the tree puller, grapple and backhoe. I have an old John Deere 2030 in the barn I use with a 6 ft rotary cutter to keep the fields mowed. It does that well. Can it do any of the other things the little L2501 has done? No, because it can't. It doesn't have a grapple or even a loader or backhoe. If I had to disc 100 acres, I'd be better suited on the John Deere.....if it didn't break on me, which it has a habit of doing being a 45 year old tractor.

It is all relative.

Last edited by a moderator:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
:D

Also, bigger doesn't necessarily make it better. The darn rain has moved in again, but I have accomplished so much work with my little L2501 last week just using the tree puller, grapple and backhoe. I have an old John Deere 2030 in the barn I use with a 6 ft rotary cutter to keep the fields mowed. It does that well. Can it do any of the other things the little L2501 has done? No, because it can't. It doesn't have a grapple or even a loader or backhoe. If I had to disc 100 acres, I'd be better suited on the John Deere.....if it didn't break on me, which it has a habit of doing being a 45 year old tractor.

It is all relative.
Almost got stuck in a hayfield the other day. Had the 3 point spreader on and was putting down 46 and alfalfa seed and hit a deep mudlole and down she went. I quickly put it in FWA and powered out but it was a mudball. Way too much rain here to do any hay right now. M's are heavy to begin with.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
I was at Messick's yesterday (Elizabethtown)(sunday) just to look around without salesman. Wow, I didn't realize how much bigger and thicker everything (axles, etc.) is on L2501's compared to the 26hp B50 and B01 tractors. I know they are around 1000lbs+- more than B's. There was an L2501 next to a B2650. It makes B tractors look like toys. Now I can see why L2501's are so popular, they fall under the emission radar but give you better capability and function. Even though only 26hp, they have a 100 cu in engine and 70 ft. lb. of torque. Messick's is like a Big Boys Toy Store. More Orange tractors than you can shake a stick at.
Only difference between men and boys is the price of the toys !!!