L2500 TIE ROD

NEWK

Equipment
1999 L2500
Sep 16, 2020
MIDLOTHIAN VA.
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE TIE ROD ON A L2500 IS SUPPOSE TO HAVE BEND, OR IS IT SUPPOSE TO BE LASER STRAIGHT? BOUGHT THIS TRACTOR FOR MY GIRL A FEW WEEKS AGO

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE TIE ROD ON A L2500 IS SUPPOSE TO HAVE BEND, OR IS IT SUPPOSE TO BE LASER STRAIGHT? BOUGHT THIS TRACTOR FOR MY GIRL A FEW WEEKS AGO
it was made straight.

forum L2500 tie.jpg

Check your toe-in. Bent parts will cause problems with toe accelerating tire wear.

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks Dave for the info. no acetylene for the hot wench
If you can get the toe-in adjusted to the necessary spec then I would just leave the bent tie rod alone.

By being bent the metal undergoes a work hardening process and will be stronger than it was before being bent.

However, if it is drastically bent then the concern would be for an invisible crack which eventually leads to complete separation of the tie rod.

Dave

NEWK

Equipment
1999 L2500
Sep 16, 2020
MIDLOTHIAN VA.
If you can get the toe-in adjusted to the necessary spec then I would just leave the bent tie rod alone.

By being bent the metal undergoes a work hardening process and will be stronger than it was before being bent.

However, if it is drastically bent then the concern would be for an invisible crack which eventually leads to complete separation of the tie rod.

Dave
I would leave it the way it is, if it was an old beat up tractor, but someone put a lot of time and money into it. I'm the next one who is going to do the same, but that's ok I like working on it, for now. waiting for all the new parts to arrive at the front door.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I would leave it the way it is, if it was an old beat up tractor, but someone put a lot of time and money into it. I'm the next one who is going to do the same, but that's ok I like working on it, for now. waiting for all the new parts to arrive at the front door.
That is great.

Sometimes forum members are facing tough financial decisions when it comes to repairing their tractors and I never want to forget that when giving advice.

Dave