L245F locking diff operation

phastjoe

Equipment
L2650DT L245DT
Jan 5, 2010
Paso Robles, CA USA
My L245F has a lock for the diff, but it is extremely stif and sometimes will not easily unlock. (Thought it was'nt going to the other day!) Any tips on this device and how to adjust or service it for easier operation?

Should this only be switched when the tractor is off?

Any help will be most appreciated. (Thanks!)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Keep in mind the heel lever to active the differential lock does not move very far down to actually lock and engage the rear tires together. It could be a thing of you actually have the rear wheels locked in. You hardly feel any difference in how the tractor preforms when the rears are locked. The only time you really need to lock the rears in is to regain traction if you happen to be in a soft spot. Maybe Service Dept Vic will buzz in and help out on this one.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The diff lock on my L 3000 is really stiff also. It probably will always be that way because I have only used it 1 time in 10 yrs. The best way I know to unlock them properly is after you get out of what you were stuck in is to back up a few feet. I will also turn the wheels slightly from side to side as I move back. This will help to get the lock out of any bind that it may be in due to ground conditions. It normally will come out pretty easy doing it this way. Make sure you don't run it with the diff lock engaged any longer than is needed. It will create a lot of heat and cause unwanted strain on the drive line.