L245DT gear shift/transmission locks up

Berryguy

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 17, 2021
Biglerville PA
Frequently when I shift into R or sometimes another gear the transmission locks like it is in Park on an automatic transmission. I have to take it out of reverse, put it in another gear like 3/7, let off the clutch a little to move the tractor slightly, then shift it back into R.
It seems to be worse when the tractor is on level ground or the front end is higher than the rear end.
I have a loader on the tractor and sometimes when the front end is elevated, like digging into a pile, when I stop and put it in R, there is a grinding sound when I let out the clutch. The lever is tight but I can get it out of R, put it into a forward gear, move forward slightly, then put it back into R.
I have been afraid to take off the shift lever cover and see what is going on. I didn't want to mess something up or not be able to get things lined up and put back together correctly.
I am pretty mechanical but have never worked on a transmission.
Any ideas on what the problem is and how involved the repair is would be helpful.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
There was a problem with a circlip on the upper shaft of the transmission coming out. Most of the tractors were repaired in the early eighties. My guess is yours is one of them it did not get updated. When the clip comes out and you are on an incline one of the gears slides back. Sounds like what's happening to you. You will need to remove the complete shift cover to correct this. Kubota has the new updated shirt Clips to do this. If you send me a private message I can get you the part numbers that you'll need. Good luck.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Manual transmissions lock when two gears are selected at the same time. This happens when the linkages start getting worn and the fork does not pull out of one gear before another gear is moved.

A poorly adjusted clutch when working a loader was the cause of my experience with this problem.

The shifter forks move the gears as the shifter lever is moved. The forks ride on rails (round steel) and their movement is interlocked by a number of ball bearings and springs to prevent uncontrolled movement.

forum L345 shifter forks.jpg

Dave