L245dt fuel tank removal

Jbrown11_1

Equipment
Kubota l245dt
Oct 20, 2021
Ontario
Hey all, does anyone know of a good video or step by step instruction to remove the fuel tank from a l245dt? Mines full of sediment and i want to get it off to coat the inside.

Thanks!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Video yourself disassembling and removing the tank. Now play it in reverse. Post on youtube. You are now an influencer and will become a youtube millionaire. Post pictures of yourself on facebook.

Removing the tank is easier than all that and will take less time.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Assuming that it is very similar to the L185 that I own:
Remove steering wheel
Disconnect the wiring connectors near the clutch and starter
Get the wiring harness to the rear of tractor loose from tractor
Unbolt the four bolts that hold the cowl and dash (they come from the bottom up so you will have to really get down by the floor board and look up towards the tank and dash to see them)
Lift cowl off the steering column
There should be something that supports the tank to the column (rubber donut or hard plastic inserts) that needs to be removed if still there.
Drain tank of fuel and or turn off the fuel valve (drain at hose into fuel filter since it has to be removed)
Remove the rubber hose at the valve or on opposite side at fuel filter (which ever is easier to get to)
I think the tank is ready to remove now (same bolts hold it as the cowl?)
If it isn’t loose then remove the bolts that hold it down and remove it (I don’t recall exactly how it was bolted)

Steering wheel removal is probably the hardest part but mine was a tapered shaft so it wasn’t too much trouble. Just leave the nut on the shaft so that you don’t hurt yourself when it lets go and flies up. Sit in seat and push up with knees and yank with hands. May require some PB blaster or such penetrating oil to sit on that for a day or two (there is a nice recess under the plastic center cap that you can fill up some and let it soak when the nut is loose)

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
See this thread for more information about my tank problem and repair

SimonDewing

Equipment
l245DT
Oct 19, 2020
Texas USA
See this thread for more information about my tank problem and repair
Description above for 245DT tank removal is pretty accurate with the exception of steering wheel removal (Mine was stuck and only came off when I dug out the 5 ton HF hydraulic puller; conventional screw type pullers would not move it!).
Have the same problem with my tank and its currently in the local radiator shop for cleaning.
Also took the opportunity to remove the steering box and purchased a rebuild kit as its very loose which I gather is pretty common with these tractors

Simon

Tgore76

Equipment
Kubota L295dt
Aug 6, 2021
North Carolina
Description above for 245DT tank removal is pretty accurate with the exception of steering wheel removal (Mine was stuck and only came off when I dug out the 5 ton HF hydraulic puller; conventional screw type pullers would not move it!).
Have the same problem with my tank and its currently in the local radiator shop for cleaning.
Also took the opportunity to remove the steering box and purchased a rebuild kit as its very loose which I gather is pretty common with these tractors

Simon
Where do I find a steering column rebuild kit? I have an l295dt.

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA

Simon
Hey SimonDewing,

Deep Creep is my choice of rust busting, works like a top just takes a minute.

To save future issues apply a tad bit of never seize to the shaft when installing steering wheel, makes the next time oh so much easier.

Cheers
Samantha

Last edited:

SimonDewing

Equipment
l245DT
Oct 19, 2020
Texas USA
Where do I find a steering column rebuild kit? I have an l295dt.
I used Kumar Brothers

They frequently advertise via ebay.
There may be others suppliers about too.

Rgds

Simon