L245dt electrical plugs brittle

doc harper

Equipment
kubota L245dt
Oct 31, 2021
mancos, colorado
i have a L245dt and the two electrical plugs that plug end on the left side of tractor are cracked and brittle. i had to remove the fuel tank and dash to replace steering column. the two plugs are in bad shape and i stopped to see if i can get the plugs. i wish i could find replacements male and female with 5 or 6 inches of wire on the plugs plus color coded.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
i have a L245dt and the two electrical plugs that plug end on the left side of tractor are cracked and brittle. i had to remove the fuel tank and dash to replace steering column. the two plugs are in bad shape and i stopped to see if i can get the plugs. i wish i could find replacements male and female with 5 or 6 inches of wire on the plugs plus color coded.
It is probably a long shot, but you could try Messick's for advice on locating the plugs.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you take a little time you can search eBay or amazon and find the plastic plugs.
They will not have the metal or wires, you would have to use the existing or find and order new one's separately.

Reactions: 1 user

doc harper

Equipment
kubota L245dt
Oct 31, 2021
mancos, colorado
If you take a little time you can search eBay or amazon and find the plastic plugs.
They will not have the metal or wires, you would have to use the existing or find and order new one's separately.
thought about just getting some automotive plugs and see i can release the wire terminals on the old kubota plug and see if they will fit like toyota or some other automotive plug. just thought i could find someone who has fixed the problem and save me time

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
A tractor 'scrapyard' that has your model tractor in it would be the best 'donor', cutting say 8-10" on both sides of the connectors.
Next would be some form of auto/trailer connectors. If 4 or less, common 4 pin trailer wiring would work, just flip male<>female so you can't misconnect the cables.....
Final ,would be buying wire,connectors, pins and sockets and making them up.

Reactions: 1 users

doc harper

Equipment
kubota L245dt
Oct 31, 2021
mancos, colorado
A tractor 'scrapyard' that has your model tractor in it would be the best 'donor', cutting say 8-10" on both sides of the connectors.
Next would be some form of auto/trailer connectors. If 4 or less, common 4 pin trailer wiring would work, just flip male<>female so you can't misconnect the cables.....
Final ,would be buying wire,connectors, pins and sockets and making them up.
i wish there was a scrap yard close but don't know of one.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Dont get hung up on finding EXACT replacements (this is not a museum piece)

Perhaps the most common way to fix such things on outdoor equipment/vehicles is to use "Weatherpack" connectors. ( https://www.weatherpack.com/ ) Weatherpack components are available on Amazon and local autoparts stores.

Weatherpack connectors are available as 'pigtails' so you do not need special crimpers and tedious assembly. Just do ONE WIRE AT A TIME so things do not get mixed up.

BEWARE of cheep chineesium electrical components... the wire and connector-pins is often NOT even copper. The plastic is cheep, brittle, and connectors not weatherproof.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Dont get hung up on finding EXACT replacements
cheep chineesium electrical .... cheep, brittle, and connectors not weatherproof.
What he said. All of it. If Messick's doesn't have anything for you, go this route. You'll save yourself a lot of headache.