L245DT electrical/lighting help

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I've been doing some bodywork and paint on my tractor and I'm running into some lighting issues as I put things back together.

The tractor did not have the safety flashers on it when I got it (the manual says they are optional, along with the flasher unit and switch). I bought and installed some lights, but the wiring has me confused.

When I got it, the tractor would light the headlights on the 3rd key position, and the work light on the back on the fourth position. When I took apart the hood and headlight assembly to repaint, not all the wires were connected. When I put it back together, the lights came on and stayed on regardless of key position, so I only have the orange connected now, and the brown is loose. The worklight was connected to the yellow wire in the rear, but the diagram shows this is for the flashers and the red is for the work light.

The flashers I bought are generic from Princess Auto, and have two wires, brown and red. The brown is for the "running" light (I think this is called the "position" lamp in the manual), and the red is for the brighter "flasher". However, I can't get the tractor's flasher lamp wires to give me any voltage when I check with the meter, regardless of key position.

I think that covers the background. Questions:
Under the seat, there appear to be some more wiring connections. Are these for a seat safety switch or for the lighting on the other fender?
Is there supposed to be a flasher unit and switch on the tractor dash, if so what do they look like?
Is there supposed to be a switch for the work light or is it controlled by the key like the headlights?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It sounds like you have a wiring diagram and if you do post a copy here so we all have some reference material.

It sounds like you have a wiring design which calls for a flasher unit with three terminals and the one you bought from Princess only has two.

Post some photos so we have an overall impression of your tractor.

Dave

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I am using the wiring diagram for the L245 from Kubota books.com The Princess Auto lights have two wires for the dual filaments bulbs, and ground to the fender, same as the factory ones.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I suggest you invest about $10 in a 12 volt test light.

Can you take a photo of the back side of the main switches so that the terminal numbers are visible.

Post some photos of your tractor's dash.

Dave

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I have been using a multi-meter. Pulled the dash apart over the weekend. Found the wires for the flasher unit and flasher switch taped off, so I'll need these components - probably just grab some generic parts from NAPA and an extra switch to mount on the fender so I can turn off the utility light if I prefer.

Some of the keyed switch wiring has been played with, keeping the brown wire to the fuses and to the headlights live, even when the key is off. I think I will be able to fix that by moving it to the proper connection point on the switch - I guess someone wanted always on power to the front of the tractor for something once, and added a few extra connections in the rear too. I wonder whatever for...

The main bundle of wiring was definitely diverted at one point, outside of the steering linkage, so I tucked that back away as well, as the loom was wearing from contact. Pretty happy with things on the electrical front now.