L235DT Compression Test

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Working on a L235 for a "No Start" complaint by the owner.
I thought I would start with a new set of glow plugs and fuel filter.....adjust the valves, and compression test.

Valves were pretty tight (adjusted them to 0.07mm as recommended)

Radiator was plugged pretty badly by dirt/mud (concern for overheating)

Compression test shows:
#1: 375
#2: 325
#3: 200

Thinking it's time for a rebuild....ugh

I have a link to the compression test here (Vimeo vidoe page)
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos

Try these individual video links on the Vimeo web site I posted the compression test's on - if the above link isn't working....I tried the above link, but I'm the "creator"...who knows...I'm not one of them kidz who can make a web page while watching tv... :)

https://vimeo.com/373172658
https://vimeo.com/373172841
https://vimeo.com/373172398

I did the test with the Glow Plug port.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Working on a L235 for a "No Start" complaint by the owner.
I thought I would start with a new set of glow plugs and fuel filter.....adjust the valves, and compression test.

Valves were pretty tight (adjusted them to 0.07mm as recommended)

Radiator was plugged pretty badly by dirt/mud (concern for overheating)

Compression test shows:
#1: 375
#2: 325
#3: 200

Thinking it's time for a rebuild....ugh

I have a link to the compression test here (Vimeo vidoe page)
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos

I did the test with the Glow Plug port.
Your linky no worky. :D

With numbers like that it could need a rebuild.

Did you bubble test the injectors for leaks?

I would suggest doing a second test from the injector ports.
I've had several engines that tested low from the glow plug ports and were fine when I tested from the injector ports, one had a bad injector, the other was a injector that wasn't sealing to the head.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Thanks for the tip I will do another compression test through the injector ports tomorrow and post up the number sure hope they are better!
Thank you Sir

Added the individual link to each video.....hope it works :)

Last edited:

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Got the compression test completed at the fuel injector ports.....~220 at each one. Not the best results, but consistent!

While I had the injectors out, I decided to test the glow plug circuit....which showed to be faulty.

Problem was in the key switch: turn the key to activate the glow plug circuit, and it would not show continuity....no juice getting to the plugs (or the little element mounted on the dash).

Well, the owner of this 'ol girl needs her back ASAP.....he runs several Christmas Tree Farms, and it's peak season.....so.....time to adapt and overcome!

Wired a circuit using the battery lead on the switch.

Mounted the momentary push button on the dash where the glow plug indicator element was, and included a visual (green light) to give the operator(s) confirmation that "something was actually happening" when the button was being pushed. Also included plenty of instructions on the dash. ;)

As for the compression: With the glow plugs working the tractor fired right up. Ran a little rough for about 30 seconds which I think is old injector issue, but cleared up without issue. I think the valve adjustment made a huge difference in the smooth'ness of the motor!
(side bar: The motor died after running for about 45seconds....I thought "crap, WHAT NOW???......then I remembered I closed the fuel valve when I replaced the fuel filter :rolleyes:

So....there ya have it......delivered it back to the owner last night, and the world is once again spinning in the right direction.

Next :)

Attachments

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
The "green lite" is a GREAT idea.. might hafta "borrow" that one..
Go for it.....

Er....ahhhhhh.....wait a minute.....I can sell ya a kit for a mere $299.99.....and include installation for only an additional $2,400.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I think you may be burning up the glow plugs. If the indicator was a coil it was a resistor that dropped the voltage down to the glow plugs.

Please research that a little bit and make sure I have it right. I think they should be okay for a little while but in the long run the glow plugs will fail without the resistance in the circuit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
I think you may be burning up the glow plugs. If the indicator was a coil it was a resistor that dropped the voltage down to the glow plugs.

Please research that a little bit and make sure I have it right. I think they should be okay for a little while but in the long run the glow plugs will fail without the resistance in the circuit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hummmmmm.......hadn't thought of that!

I'll look into that....thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hummmmmm.......hadn't thought of that!

I'll look into that....thanks
Russell is right, you will burn up the glow plugs when no indicator is included in the circuit.

Glow Plug circuits don't normally have fuses in them because the amperage will vary drastically as they heat up.

And also the glow plugs are feed 2 different ways,
Position one (glow plug position) the power comes from the switch and goes through the indicator then on to the glow plugs.
Position 2 (crank position) the glow plugs are directly feed without the indicator in the path.

Last edited: