L235 Oil Gauge

Countrylife

Equipment
L235, RTV 900
May 12, 2022
East Texas
I don't see a place to introduce myself, so I'll just jump right in with a question. I have an L235 with a hydraulic problem and have been reading the threads on that and have a few things to check before I post some questions on that, but I'll start with this one: How do I get the plastic oil gauge out of the L235 tractor case so I can install a new one? I see the new ones are a press-in fit (right)? Do I just run a screw into it and pull?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I don't see a place to introduce myself, so I'll just jump right in with a question. I have an L235 with a hydraulic problem and have been reading the threads on that and have a few things to check before I post some questions on that, but I'll start with this one: How do I get the plastic oil gauge out of the L235 tractor case so I can install a new one? I see the new ones are a press-in fit (right)? Do I just run a screw into it and pull?
I have no experience with that particular sight gauge but that is the general idea.

Dan

Countrylife

Equipment
L235, RTV 900
May 12, 2022
East Texas
Not
If you are talking about an oil pressure gauge, rare to be a press fit. Instead, look behind the gauge for a U bracket which pulls the gauge into the dash as two bolts are tightened

Dave
Not oil pressure, its an oil level. It's a flat plastic window with 2 parallel lines on it that fits into a recess in the frame housing. It's far enough in from the oil filler that it can't be reached from the inside. It gets cloudy over time and can't see the oil level anymore. Also, I wonder if a regular piece of plastic with some sort of sealer would be sufficient, especially since it's an old tractor and parts are getting harder to come by.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Not

Not oil pressure, its an oil level. It's a flat plastic window with 2 parallel lines on it that fits into a recess in the frame housing. It's far enough in from the oil filler that it can't be reached from the inside. It gets cloudy over time and can't see the oil level anymore. Also, I wonder if a regular piece of plastic with some sort of sealer would be sufficient, especially since it's an old tractor and parts are getting harder to come by.
Its more properly called a sight glass. They are standard items used on many different types of industrial machinery and equipment.

Dan