L235 no fwd

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
Fwd failed today. It shifts in/out of 4wd no issue. What specifics do I look at first? 4wd drive shaft, rear transfer case, etc...
How do I determine if the 4wd drive shaft is spinning? If I raise the front wheels with the loader they spin freely in both 2wd & 4wd.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Fwd failed today. It shifts in/out of 4wd no issue. What specifics do I look at first? 4wd drive shaft, rear transfer case, etc...
How do I determine if the 4wd drive shaft is spinning? If I raise the front wheels with the loader they spin freely in both 2wd & 4wd.
Access openings for propeller shaft on underside of tunnel?

Dan

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The rear gears and transfer case rarely fail. The most common problem in the front drive system is the propeller shaft couplings. The internal splines rust and eventually wear enough to stop driving.

To inspect them, unbolt and slide the telescoping tube together, drive out the rear coupling's roll pin, and slide the coupling enough to take the shaft down and out.

Another possibility is worn out gears in the front differential.
L235 propeller shaft.jpg

Last edited:

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
The front coupling roll pin was MISSING. Question is: Where did it go?
Previous owner rebuilt the transmission, and replaced the clutch. Is it possible he did not put the roll pin back, and the coupling has just been free sliding? The 4wd was definitely working for a few months after I got it.

The front coupling is pretty worn, compared to the rear coupling.

It looks like I may have to drop the FEL brace to replace the propellor shaft couplings, correct? Or is there enough clearance to slide the shaft back and remove the front coupling?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The front coupling roll pin was MISSING. Question is: Where did it go?
Previous owner rebuilt the transmission, and replaced the clutch. Is it possible he did not put the roll pin back, and the coupling has just been free sliding? The 4wd was definitely working for a few months after I got it.

The front coupling is pretty worn, compared to the rear coupling.

It looks like I may have to drop the FEL brace to replace the propellor shaft couplings, correct? Or is there enough clearance to slide the shaft back and remove the front coupling?
Should be able to slide the front or rear coupling back enough to remove the propeller shaft.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
On the models I've done, the rear coupling slides forward, allowing the end of the shaft to drop down a bit and come out toward the rear. Mine have all had Kubota loaders which didn't block that. Maybe others do? Dick B

Last edited:

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
What part number is listed for #5 coupling? This is the only correct diagram I have seen for the L235. All the others do not show/have the roll pin.

The rear gears and transfer case rarely fail. The most common problem in the front drive system is the propeller shaft couplings. The internal splines rust and eventually wear enough to stop driving.

To inspect them, unbolt and slide the telescoping tube together, drive out the rear coupling's roll pin, and slide the coupling enough to take the shaft down and out.

Another possibility is worn out gears in the front differential.
View attachment 74443

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The current part number is listed as H3520-44520.

Last edited: