L2250 Gasket material in hydraulic oil

Hookstownben

Equipment
Kubota L2250 DT
Mar 5, 2022
Verona NY
Hey guys been reading the forum for a while this is my first post. I have a 1986 L2250. Love this thing my pap bought one brand new in 1986 and I bought one this year.

while catching it up on a serious lack of maintenance I found a bunch of junk in the hydraulic filter. It looks like some kind of gasket. The pictures are the biggest piece most of it was small shredded up pieces. Brakes and clutch both seem to work well.

Previous owner did little to no maintenance. Started working on hydraulics because of water in the system. I’m on my second flush trying to get the white goop out.

thanks
Ben

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Really doesn't look like Kubota's typical gasket material.
It does look like it might be brake pad material.

If it's not leaking and the brakes work I wouldn't worry about it.

Do you have the WSM (aka Service manual) for it?
If not ask and I'll help you out. ;)

Hookstownben

Equipment
Kubota L2250 DT
Mar 5, 2022
Verona NY
Really doesn't look like Kubota's typical gasket material.
It does look like it might be brake pad material.

If it's not leaking and the brakes work I wouldn't worry about it.

Do you have the WSM (aka Service manual) for it?
If not ask and I'll help you out. ;)
Could definitely use the service manual I have the operators and parts manual from a pdf. Nothings leaking and everything works good. just doing routine maintenance. I found some more and it’s definitely gasket material it’s smooth/shiny on both sides. Looking through the parts manual I see nothing that used a gasket like that.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Could that be filter paper? Maybe out of the hydraulic filter.
You could very well hit it on the head.
But if it is and it's from a filter on the tractor, all of that material went through the pump, I couldn't see how the pump handled Ingesting all of that, even 1 piece at a time.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Could definitely use the service manual I have the operators and parts manual from a pdf. Nothings leaking and everything works good. just doing routine maintenance. I found some more and it’s definitely gasket material it’s smooth/shiny on both sides. Looking through the parts manual I see nothing that used a gasket like that.
Does it look like the three-point cover, one of the rear axle housings have been removed or the unit separated at the transmission? They all have gaskets, someone may have had it apart and just left the scrapped of material in the unit.

Hookstownben

Equipment
Kubota L2250 DT
Mar 5, 2022
Verona NY
It reminds me of these old blue fibrous gasket material.
That is definitely brake material. Look closely at the material it has grooves in it.
I thought that at first as well because the oem brake disc is grooved in a checkers pattern. But the stuff is thin. About 1/16 thick,

Hookstownben

Equipment
Kubota L2250 DT
Mar 5, 2022
Verona NY
Does it look like the three-point cover, one of the rear axle housings have been removed or the unit separated at the transmission? They all have gaskets, someone may have had it apart and just left the scrapped of material in the unit.
I started looking at the breakdowns in the parts manual. It does look like a housing gasket. Some of the pieces connect to make a square shape. The hydraulics work great other than some moisture from being previously stored outside. Looks like someone may have done a brake job and dropped a section of gasket in the rear end. I feel like it would have jammed the hydraulic pump or at least if it went through the pump it would have been much smaller pieces.

I guess monitoring for more is in my future. Clutch and brakes are solid. I’ll pull the filter off after running it some more and see if I keep getting more material.

if it needs brakes hopefully they can wait til spring in New York. But won’t be the first time…my pap has the same machine we did his brakes and clutch 5 years ago should be like riding a bike hahaha

Reactions: 1 user