L225....Steering wheel just spins...

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
So I clearly have a steering problem :(

Before I get into it this week if the steering wheel just spins....is it the likely cause a broke worm gear or shaft?

or are there other culprits?

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Could be either or both. Good news is that there is plenty of aftermarket parts and complete units available at a reasonable cost through eBay and google. When your done, make sure you have a way to keep water from running down the steering column into the box which is the main cause of failure.

Last edited:

avvidclif

Equipment
BX2230 L285
May 12, 2020
Mabank, Tx
Please find me one for an L285. Non-existent. If you consider $400 and up reasonable I guess ebay is a place to get one for an L225.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Recently I looked up some parts costs for the owner of a B8200 with manual steering.

When I told him the cost of the complete box (according to Messicks) which was around $800 he said all he wanted to do was rebuild it and all he needed was the ball nut and a few bearings and seals. The cost of the ball nut was more than the cost of the complete box.

The trouble with trying to repair stuff on these L tractors is that there are no high quality workshop manuals nor are the parts illustrations very good quality.

Buying a complete assembly helps those who do not do these boxes on a regular basis.

Your loss of steering is likely the rusting out of the small tubes on the outside of the ball nut.

The photo is not of a L225 but typical.

This short video will show you the concept of recirculating ball steering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeokGSdVTAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD00DIGVhtk

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
please find me one for an L285. Non-existent. If you consider $400 and up reasonable I guess ebay is a place to get one for an L225.
I do.
As a comparison, mine is $2744.68. Paid $300.00 for a salvage housing from a burned tractor to repair my original box... plus all the seals, bearings, and snap rings. I guess that means you have the same box as I do. They're actually very repairable. And I do have a spare housing.

Last edited: