L2050 refuses to start without glow plugs

Flip101

Equipment
Z781i
Aug 6, 2021
Alabama
Any thoughts on what would make my L2050 not start without activating the glow plugs for about 45 seconds? If it is turned off for more than 60 seconds I have to activate the glow plugs to get it to start, even in 100 degree weather? Compression, valves, injector pump, injectors? Not sure where to start. It does blow some black smoke when it first cranks, then after a minute it runs great. Thanks!

Flip101

Equipment
Z781i
Aug 6, 2021
Alabama
When did it start do this? Any changes just before? New fuel, worked done to it? 45 seconds is to long to use the glow plugs anytime.
Hey WoodKutter, I bought the FEL about a year ago. At that time it would not start at all, so I took the injector pump apart and freed up the pistons in it and put it back together. Then it started, but has been like this ever since. I don't know what problems it had before I bought it.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You probably need to have the injection pump professionally rebuilt and calibrated.

I would also replace or rebuild the injectors

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Injector pumps really are not a DIY proposition. Specialized knowledge, specialized tools. You don't know what you don't know.

But before you spend any money on that, or on injectors, or on any other parts, do a compression test.

Reactions: 1 users