L2000 steering wheel replacement

Rexus

Equipment
L2000
Jun 3, 2021
Vashon
Curious if anyone has info on replacing the steering wheel for my 1974 L2000. Are they pretty standard? Will I need a puller? Etc. This guy is new to me but looking forward to learning more about it and bringing it back to its former glory!

0A274A8A-9BF0-41AF-9961-33FDA88B59A9.jpeg

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
To get that wheel off try the following:
Take the nut off
Spray the shaft area with a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster, Kroil, Deep Creep...
Let it set for a few hours and then spray it again.
Put the nut back on flush with the end of the threaded shaft. (You don’t want the steering wheel to be able to hit you in the face when it lets go of the shaft)
Sit on the tractor seat and press your legs up against the steering wheel so that you can use your feet and calf muscles to push up.
Grasp the steering wheel rim and jerk up on it.
Hopefully the wheel comes loose and the nut stops it.
If not spray the shaft again and wait 24 hours and try again.
Spray and wait and try and spray and wait and try

The shaft is tapered so hopefully no one over tightened the nut and pressed the wheel too hard.

If all else fails the try hitting the nut while pressing up on the steering wheel.

The you may have to cut the hub through the side to get it off.

I think the l185 or L225 wheel would fit.

Reactions: 1 user

Rexus

Equipment
L2000
Jun 3, 2021
Vashon
Put the nut back on flush with the end of the threaded shaft. (You don’t want the steering wheel to be able to hit you in the face when it lets go of the shaft)
Makes perfect sense, all of it. Except for one part... so injury during repairs isn’t standard operating procedure?

I’ll give it a shot, thanks!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Makes perfect sense, all of it. Except for one part... so injury during repairs isn’t standard operating procedure?

I’ll give it a shot, thanks!
Good luck. Look at Weavers Compact Tractors, that is where I got my new steering wheel for my L185.

If you want to try a puller you will have to get something like a bearing splitter behind the hub or try to drill and tap into the metal hub.

Reactions: 1 user