L2000 / L225 leaking oil at shift lever

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
Anybody seen this!?! I just started to leak oil from the gear shift lever! It looks like it is coming from where the lever pivots. Any fixes?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm not familiar with your machine, but several people have posted similar problems & it often turns out to be a plugged transmission vent, usually located up under the seat. Hopefully someone with more savvy than me will chime in here.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
I sure dont see a vent to speak of under the seat. My fluid is at the correct level and I changed it 3 months ago.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I sure dont see a vent to speak of under the seat. My fluid is at the correct level and I changed it 3 months ago.
I have seen vents that looked like a curved metal tube, and another that looked at first like a regular bolt, but on closer inspection, it had a baffle arraignment on it. They plug up with dirt & grease, or mud daubers plug them up. Maybe a manual will show where it is, or someone with your model will jump in.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
The tractor lives outside and I was doing some dusty bush hogging sat when it started to leak.

I spent a whole hour tonight looking for the vent and I cannot find it! I assume that it would be at the highest point of the transmission (under seat) but it is not. Does anybody know where the vent is ?!?!?
Thanks for the help

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
On my tractor the vent is located on the left hand side, up high, but not on top under the seat. It was made of tubing about 3/8" diameter, maybe 3" or so long, sort of shaped like a question mark, sticking out from the case outboard toward the tire. It is threaded into the case.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Here is a link to a thread about an L2000:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7537

The last post (#16) talks about the transmission fill cap:
That cap is for the transmission/hydraulic fluid.
I keep my fluid level just enough to cover the shaft (you can see it thru the hole).
One thing to note about that cap... it has a vent hole. If it gets clogged, when the tranny gets hot, the pressure will push the fluid back thru the shift levers.
This happened to me when I first got my L2000 and the vent hole in the cap was so packed, I couldn't even tell there was a hole there!

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
You are right! It is about a 1/8 hole and mine was plugged solid. No problems any more!

Is there a vent for the front axle?
Thanks for your help

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm glad you found the problem & thanks for reporting your results!
As for the front axle vent, I don't know..... now that I think about it, i don't even know where it is on my B7100. I will look next week.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Doesn't need much vent hole size.

Got tired of buying the Kubota black plastic 'question-mark shape' vent tube---they'd split and fall off.

Got one on transmission fill cap and another under seat under driver's left side on top of xmsn.

Used correct size fuel hose and mashed a piece of copper tube almost flat in a vise. Bent copper into 'S' shape in order to point toward ground.

Used hose clamp to snug the fuel hose onto the filler cap or xmsn vent and another clamp to hold the bent closed-end copper tube into the hose.

Super sturdy, doesn't crack and fall off, restricts dust and particulates into xmsn and supplies enough vent for xmsn to function without building pressure.