L185DT Overhaul??

Flyman

Equipment
l185dt
May 17, 2023
mn
New here. Just picked up a L185DT. Knowing it needs engine work. No compression on one cylinder. There is lots of options for overhaul kits out there. Any real world experience with what one is the best? Thanks.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Before you get going with this project you should remove the head and check it for cracks. These are prone to cracking when overheated.

The heads are no longer available from Kubota but can still be found at aftermarket places. Kumar Brothers is one I recall seeing.

The head gasket from Kubota is normally recommended by the more knowledgeable people on this forum.

There is a member @007kubotaguy that has a salvage yard for tractors and some parts for these older models. If you decide to scrap it he may want to buy it?

Try to get a radiator overheat whistle if it is missing. That is probably the only temperature indicator on the tractor unless something has been added.

Good luck and enjoy it. They are great little machines.

Get to five posts and show us some pictures of your machine.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes everything Russell said:
And this is my pick of the day.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'm a pip squeak at overhauling. But, when you pull the head, check the piston height-to-deck. If starting fluid has been used or the cylinder has hydrolocked, a rod could be bent, keeping that piston from coming all the way up, reducing compression on that cylinder.

Flyman

Equipment
l185dt
May 17, 2023
mn
I have pulled the head already. Plan to have it checked before reassembly. One of the sleeves has a very bad spot in it. Thanks for all your replies. More research to do.

ajsilva

Jun 15, 2023
twentynine palms ,CA
New here. Just picked up a L185DT. Knowing it needs engine work. No compression on one cylinder. There is lots of options for overhaul kits out there. Any real world experience with what one is the best? Thanks.
I used the kumhar bros kit.
had the block sleeved at a local machine shop.
welded the cracked head and installed new seats.
had the crank welded and re machined to standard.
spent about 1000.00

Reactions: 1 user