L185 oil

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Is there anything special about the transmission oil in the older kubotas?
The last guy that had it 6 years and never changed the transmission oils. So I figure it's about due.
Does the transmission use ATF, gear oil, tractor transmission oil like what you see in 5gal buckets at tractor supply or something special from the kubotas dealer?
The transmission does not appear to have sycronizers and I think that's the main reason for using thin oil like ATF.

Also same with my brush shreadder it hasn't been changed in a few years. When I dump the gear oil out I'm expecting it to be stinky, thick 80-90wt type oil.
Is that what should be in the brush shredded 90° gear box?

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
It needs to be hy-tran. The transaxle on your tractor doubles as a reservoir for your hydraulics, so you need to use an oil rated for that purpose, not 80-90 gear lube or ATF. Any of the hy-tran oils should work just fine on your tractor, I put a synthetic in mine because it's nicer in the winter.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Thank you.
I didn't want to drain it out and be wondering what just came out.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
was getting the filters and such for my L175 at the dealer...need 6 gal of hyd fluid and they only sell 5gl buckets..at $83 EACH. Yowsa.

kubota parts guy told me that many companies use the same fluids...so go find the cheapest.

Tractor Supply has many oils..found 2 gal bottle for $18 or 19 each...lots of choices...

I picked one up from the bottom - the 'bottom' (aka cheapest) says on it 'not for tractors manufactured since 1974"...Hmm...a bit of googling seems to say we need oil with "UDT" spec on it.

So I got that...yesterday, tomorrow I change it...we'll see how it goes!

Fluid has been in there since the last century..maybe even since it was built...

I know the last oil/filter work was 2003...14 YEARS, but that was only 47 hours of use ago! :D

TOmorrow I'll FINALLY have time and cooperative weather...change fluids and filters, put the cleaned up woods finish mower back on and see if it works..how well it works...IF it works..and if it does then get blades for it.

Working on getting a box blade..dealer says 3 to 4 weeks to get one in...gonna call around tomorrow..seems a dealer 3 hours away may have one in stock...but in 3 weeks ground will be frozen!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The manual for the tractor called for 80/90 gear oil but you will be much happier with using a universal tractor fluid in the tractor.
There are a couple of drain plugs on the bottom of transmission and then two or four on the rear wheel drive on the inside of some sheet metal. Use all of them to get all the fluid out. They are all connected to the same sump/transmission.
There is a plug on the side of the transmission near the clutch pedal that will be the full indicator for the transmission

The mower gearbox needs to use 80 gear oil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I thought I had identified the fill plug and that confirms it.

So mine could still have gear oil in it if it's never been changed or changed and filled with factory spec oil?

I'm definitely going to get the tractor hydraulic/transmission oil.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I went to dump the oil out of the brush shredder gear box and it was bone dry like there had never been any oil put in it.
I don't know how it was even working.
I figured the oil probably just leaked out.
But the oil has been in there all day now, no hint of an oil seap.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
I'm looking for a brush hog and seems many ship dry...so unless the original owner reads the manual they may assume it's filled up with oil on delivery..I surely would assume as much.

I went to dump the oil out of the brush shredder gear box and it was bone dry like there had never been any oil put in it.
I don't know how it was even working.
I figured the oil probably just leaked out.
But the oil has been in there all day now, no hint of an oil seap.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If it leaks some oil, do a study on "corn head grease". Unless you have one of those conditions like OCD you can easily get by without breaking down the thing for a seal, usually.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I change oil seals on gear boxes at work, which is an industrial dairy plant, so most gear boxes if they leak any oil the seals or gear box get replaced. It's not really a big deal.

After letting it sit for a day and running it some oil is starting leak a little.

If I don't change the seals I will just dump a few ounces of oil in and run it when I need it, some oil, any oil should be better than nothing.

Do Nothing Homestead

Equipment
L185
Jun 15, 2020
Ohio
I know this thread is a few years old, but it seemed like the perfect thread for my question. I just got a l185 and the transmission oil was leaking from around the shifters. Fixed that issue and swapped out the oil as it seemed low.
I only put 5 gallons in and I figured it would need more, but when I got to a level spot and pulled the "level plug" the fluid just gushes out. Anyone have any advice? Is it not pumping into all areas of the transmission?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I know this thread is a few years old, but it seemed like the perfect thread for my question. I just got a l185 and the transmission oil was leaking from around the shifters. Fixed that issue and swapped out the oil as it seemed low.
I only put 5 gallons in and I figured it would need more, but when I got to a level spot and pulled the "level plug" the fluid just gushes out. Anyone have any advice? Is it not pumping into all areas of the transmission?
See attached specification page from the Owner's Manual

23Liters if a 4wd and 22 Liters if a 2 Wd

Comments in WSM suggest now using UDT instead of the 80W geaar oil specified when tractor was built.
forum L185 trans.jpg

Do you want a copy of the Owner's Manual? If so send me a message with your email address.

Dave

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
How did you drain the tractor of the transmission fluid? You may not have gotten it all out.

And is the full plug you are using on left side by the clutch pedal? Mine looks like a bolt head with a washer under it but there may be some that look like a square head pipe plug (since I bought what I thought was the correct part and that is what it was).

I would let the excess drain out the full level plug into a pan and call it good for a while. What was the fluid like that came out?

Did you clean or change the screen filter?

Do Nothing Homestead

Equipment
L185
Jun 15, 2020
Ohio
I only drained the two plugs under the transmission. The bolt is near the clutch pedal, and painted red. I ran the tractor for awhile and then tried the plug and the fluid coming out is pristine.
My plan now is to re-drain out of all four plugs, check the screen/filter. And then see where I'm at. My hope is that I didn't get all the fluid out and that's why I'm overflowing. My concern is that if I didn't drain it fully, I would think the dirty fluid would mix with the new and it doesn't seem to be the case.
I'll check back in after I drain it.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I only drained the two plugs under the transmission. The bolt is near the clutch pedal, and painted red. I ran the tractor for awhile and then tried the plug and the fluid coming out is pristine.
My plan now is to re-drain out of all four plugs, check the screen/filter. And then see where I'm at. My hope is that I didn't get all the fluid out and that's why I'm overflowing. My concern is that if I didn't drain it fully, I would think the dirty fluid would mix with the new and it doesn't seem to be the case.
I'll check back in after I drain it.
The dirty oil at the bottom of each wheel's gear case would only mix with the fresh oil if the tractor was being driven for some time.

forum L185 dt.jpg

Dave

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
These tractors are bad about getting water into the transmission so if the fluid you drained out originally was milky peanut butter colored that indicates water in the oil. Draining it won’t get all the water out either. So most people change the fluid a few times over a few months gets most water out.

If you think you had water in the transmission fluid then I would drive it some time before changing fluids again but you are in the best position to make that decision.

On a separate note if the steering column moves around when you use it to pull yourself onto the tractor, there is a bushing to put between the fuel tank and column to help hold it.