L185 Oil Light comes at low and high rpm

duckstab

Equipment
L-185
Sep 14, 2012
WI
i've got a L185 with an oil light that comes on at low and high rpm. Oil level is good on dipstick. It sounds okay. I don't want to tax the engine if I've got a problem forming. Any thoughts on what I should do next to figure out what's going on?

Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
i've got a L185 with an oil light that comes on at low and high rpm. Oil level is good on dipstick. It sounds okay. I don't want to tax the engine if I've got a problem forming. Any thoughts on what I should do next to figure out what's going on?

Thanks
Before running the tractor anymore connect a gauge in place of the oil sending switch and see what pressure you actually have.

A few minutes running with inadequate oil pressure and your engine suffers great damage

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
How many meter hours are on it and have you maintained it properly (regular oil changes)?

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Check out this OTT thread about the L185 cam plug and oil pressure: CLICK HERE

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yup, second the cam plug issues, but verify pressure with the gauge before doing the work.

Could be a 35 year old oil sending unit as well.

duckstab

Equipment
L-185
Sep 14, 2012
WI
Check out this OTT thread about the L185 cam plug and oil pressure: CLICK HERE
First off, thank you for the link. That is sounding like the problem I'm having. I'm going to pull it in to the garage and start exploring.

Secondly, to the answer the other questions; I don't know how many hours are on this tractor. I bought it eight years ago. The hour meter wasn't working when I bought it and I never replaced it. The meter reads 432 hours. I have no idea how many hours past that it has. I put around 100/year on it between mowing and snowblowing. This forum was one of the first places I discovered after purchasing the tractor, specifically the videos by Vic. He offered a good bit of advice that I have adhered to as best I can, that frequent oil changes are cheap insurance against a whole lot of other problems. So I've done 2-3 oil changes/year using Rotella T6.

I will report back with what I find. Thanks to you all for the replies!

duckstab

Equipment
L-185
Sep 14, 2012
WI
After obtaining an oil pressure tester I don't believe my problem is the cam plug. My oil pressure is consistently between 60 and 70 psi. Cold, warm, hot, low rpm, high rpm. My next thought is the oil pressure sensor is going wonky, so I've ordered a new one. At least I can cut grass in the time being (it's getting long!).

While I was looking things over I noticed my fan belt was loose and made a wire retention jig to keep some wires off of the exhaust pipe. I also wanted to adjust my clutch, but i'm not sure if i got it right. I think maybe my clutch is worn? I seem to remember there being more pedal when I got the tractor, but now it seems to be pretty grabby. I have a kubota workshop manual, which has a section for adjusting the clutch, but the book is pretty sparse on details. It simply says there should be about an inch of play in the pedal, but at what point in the clutch travel does one start to consider it "play"? If I move the clutch arm two spins back then the safety switch won't let the tractor start, but two spins forward and clutch doesn't fully disengage with the pedal and the starter grinds. I put it back where it was, but makes me think my clutch is wearing down.

Another question, is it normal for the breather tube coming off the top of the engine to be puffing? No smoke, just puffing lots of gasses.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
at what point in the clutch travel does one start to consider it "play"?
Easiest way to explain free play is the amount of movement you can get in the pedal pushing with one finger. Should be between 1" to 1 1/2".
As the clutch wears, free play will disappear... working area of pedal comes up.

Last edited: