L185 motor oil drain

Curbster

Equipment
L-185 DT
Feb 19, 2009
Nelson, B.C.
I have a question concerning oil changes on my old L185 DT . It seems that there are two oil drain plugs on the bottom of the oil case, and both drain oil from the case, at least they seem to, and I always remove both of them, though the first plug obviously drains most of the oil. Was this some type of safety feature in case one of the plugs fell out or something? Or just the design of the pan? :confused:

Curbster

Equipment
L-185 DT
Feb 19, 2009
Nelson, B.C.
I actually had no idea why there were two drain plugs, but you are right about the pan looking like something you would find on a tank! I have operated machines with baffles in the oil pan, so you could be on some pretty steep grades and the oil pump would still pick up oil instead of having it all flow to the downside of the pan. There are sure a lot of Kubota tractors out here in my neck of the woods. I'm still hoping to find that dusty, unused one that has sat in the garage for twenty years, virtually unused, that the widow wants to sell just to get it out of the garage. LOL :)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
On my L185f the two plugs drain the same sump at the same level so I imagine they were placed to avoid some mounting or shaft.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
On the M series 4wd, there is a plug on either side of the front drive shaft. both have to be removed to drain all the sump oil.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Does something else use that engine? Maybe the engine designer envisioned an application blocking access to one or the other? Much smaller, but my rototiller has two (drains and fills, I believe), and one is blocked by the frame.