L185 Fuel Tank

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey TurnerDW,

When I did the one on my L1500dt, we removed it and emptied it out and used a bit of gas to swish it around, and then some soapy water, and a hose to rinse it good, then I used a hair dryer in the fill hole to help dry it out. Then left it sitting in the hot sun for a cpl of days with the cap off but the fill screen in place.

But it mostly depends on what all is in yours, or how bad the rust of anything like that is, I have had some small tanks for motorcycles and mowers that I have had to get them boiled out.

If you just have a little crud in yours, just do like I did, it's not hard just takes some time.

Cheers
Samantha

TurnerDW

Equipment
Kubota L185
May 14, 2022
Hey TurnerDW,

When I did the one on my L1500dt, we removed it and emptied it out and used a bit of gas to swish it around, and then some soapy water, and a hose to rinse it good, then I used a hair dryer in the fill hole to help dry it out. Then left it sitting in the hot sun for a cpl of days with the cap off but the fill screen in place.

But it mostly depends on what all is in yours, or how bad the rust of anything like that is, I have had some small tanks for motorcycles and mowers that I have had to get them boiled out.

If you just have a little crud in yours, just do like I did, it's not hard just takes some time.

Cheers
Samantha
Thank you, I thought that was how it had to be done, but wanted verification from someone who had done it before. Blessings

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
See this thread

Tank is easy to remove if you can get the steering wheel off. That can be difficult at times.

There is a drain plug in the bottom that can be used to drain and clean in place.

The shut off valve will be clogged during cleaning but can be taken off or apart to clean.

If you need more information just ask or search the forum since I believe most of the information has been posted in other threads