L185 front bumper, hook attachment thing

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Is the front bumper tow hook actually used with any other accessories?
I removed mine and found the 5 bolts that hold it on are a bit of an odd size, 12x1.5mm. They got a little rusty so the threads on the bolt were chewed up, so I ordered new stainless replacement flange bolts and a 12x1.5 tap to chase the holes.
I don't see any reason to keep the bumper, plate, hook combo so I thought I might replace it with a 2 inch square tube Reese hitch plate.
I could put my Reese winch on there, build a little bumper bar for it, put a 2-5/16 ball hitch and move a trailer , stuff like that, actually make it useful.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
...and stainless bolts won't be that strong either.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The front bumper is actually for carrying weights to stabilize the tractor when you have an implement on the rear of the tractor.

And there are a lot of bolts that size on the tractor. Kubota seems to love extra fine thread bolts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
5 or 6 twelve mm bolts should be plenty strong enough even if pot metal grade A bolts.

Likely your charging system would not support very much winching.

Dave
Got a GM SI12 alternator.
I really hope to not need it very much.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I found a picture of one with a weight bumper.
Definitely not what mine is.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Please post a picture of what your bumper looks like.

When I got my tractor. The weight rack was damaged by running into a tree probably and had a strange rectangular cast iron weight bolted onto it using all thread rods. The weight was attached to two vertical pipes welded on that I have no idea what they are used for but they look factory. The holes in the weight did not really align with the pipes. The weight is odd since it is party hollow on bottom like it stacks on something but the top is flat so two of these would not stack together.

PitViper

Equipment
B1750HSD, TG1860, 5’ box, 6’ grader, 6’ rake, pond scoop, PHD, boom pole, winch
Apr 28, 2020
Decatur TN
Please post a picture of what your bumper looks like.

When I got my tractor. The weight rack was damaged by running into a tree probably and had a strange rectangular cast iron weight bolted onto it using all thread rods. The weight was attached to two vertical pipes welded on that I have no idea what they are used for but they look factory. The holes in the weight did not really align with the pipes. The weight is odd since it is party hollow on bottom like it stacks on something but the top is flat so two of these would not stack together.

Sounds like the top weight from a weight machine weight stack.