L1801 with no compression,

MoGreenAcres

Equipment
L1801
Jul 6, 2020
Missouri
This is a locally for sale unit and freely spins with no compression, as I am told by current owner. He told me it was moved on a trailer to it's current location and did this when he got it off the trailer and tried starting it again.
I am attempting to get a time set up to go look at this tractor. Is it possible the compression release is stuck in the open position? Any suggestions on what to look at, are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Are you SURE it has no compression? What led you to that conclusion? Perhaps the starter is not engaging and the starter is spinning freely? You should be able to put a socket onto the bolt at the front of the crank and turn the engine over manually to get a feel for resistance. If the tractor has a compression release I guess that's a possibility but most tractors lack this feature.

Reactions: 1 user

MoGreenAcres

Equipment
L1801
Jul 6, 2020
Missouri
Roadworthy....thanks for replying. I finally was able to get to see the tractor today. Sure enough, I found the compression release was engaged. I bought the tractor and winched it onto a trailwr for the ride home, about a half hour ride at 50 mph.
When i got it home, I adjusted the compression release and hooked up another battery. Got her to turn over and after a bit she started up. So now I 'll have to empty the old fuel and fix a few things. Then give her a bath and hook up the mower to her. I think she'll do nicely here on our 20 acres.