L1801 lift leak down

mowerman

Equipment
L1801
Feb 10, 2013
Alabama
I want to say hello to everyone. I have been coming to this site about a year now and always seemed to find the info I needed. I have a 3 point lift problem and did not find my answer so I thought I better sign up. I have a L1801 that the lift will creep down from the up postion after it is shut off. Takes about 2 to 3 minutes to get to the full down postion. When running everything works great. The 3-point will not stay in the up position when engine is off. This only started last year but before that it was always rock solid. I do mow with this tractor with a finish mower and I do work the lift up and down alot when turning. Could this be a worn piston and seals or is there something else that could cause this.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I don't know your model, but my B7100 was easy.... pull the seat for access, 4 bolts to take the cover off, new o-ring & backing ring on the piston, 2 new o-rings to seal the cover, & back together.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Buna-N gets harder and more brittle as it ages. It's not as springy so it doesn't seal quite as well and it tears easier. No bets, I'd say you've got a bum oring either in the piston or the control valve. I haven't dug into mine so I can't tell you how bad of a job it is but I'll tentatively say everything looks to be fairly accessible should the urge take you to fix this little nuisance.

mowerman

Equipment
L1801
Feb 10, 2013
Alabama
Thanks everyone for the reply. I would like to fix because I do reg maintenance under my mowing deck ( clean out , sharpen blades , replace blades ). Buy the time I shut the tractor off and get off and grab my saftey blocks to put under the mower it has already lowered it self to where I cant get the blocks under it. I dont want to be anywhere around it with the tractor still running. So I will pull it apart . Once it is apart should there be anything else that might need attention in there.

Stumpy, Is the control valve you are talking about come off with the seat housing. Should I go ahead and replace the seals you are talking about in the valve along with the piston o-ring and backing ring. Would there be a kit for this valve .Should the L185 parts fit this part of my L1801.

Last edited:

Hazelfarm

Equipment
L2201DT. PTO chipper, flail mower. Rototiller, hyd. splitter.
Feb 9, 2013
Pemberton, British Columbia
That's the way my 3 pt started to fail too. Then I had to hold the lever up all the time I wanted the implement off the ground even with the tractor running. Then it wouldn't pick the implement up.

I replaced all the easy to get at o-rings first but with no improvement. It was crud in the control valve that was the problem on my L2201.

See my posted thread on this forum from 02-09-2013: "What is this. . ." It tells how to find that valve on some Kubota greys.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I don't believe there's a kit. I'm not sure whether the parts numbers cross directly or not. I'd measure the originals and order replacement orings off ebay myself.

mowerman

Equipment
L1801
Feb 10, 2013
Alabama
Thanks I am going to get it apart and see what we are looking at. I found the part numbers for the L185. I have a kabota dealer real close to me. I am going to get the parts from them and see if they fit my L1801. I will keep all posted on the out come.

jbeenemd

Equipment
Kubota L185DT
Sep 30, 2012
Sacville, MO
My L185DT's 3 point stopped working completely after sitting for a month. I took my tractor apart to get to the position control valve. Was fairly easy to take apart and get to. I tried to take my valve apart and found it impossible (at least for me). Was easier to buy a used valve and replace. I never was able to get the valve apart to examine. I figured that there was some crud in it as it was working perfectly prior to it dying on me. Please let us know how you do with this project, particularly how you get the valve apart!!!
Jackie

mowerman

Equipment
L1801
Feb 10, 2013
Alabama
My L185DT's 3 point stopped working completely after sitting for a month. I took my tractor apart to get to the position control valve. Was fairly easy to take apart and get to. I tried to take my valve apart and found it impossible (at least for me). Was easier to buy a used valve and replace. I never was able to get the valve apart to examine. I figured that there was some crud in it as it was working perfectly prior to it dying on me. Please let us know how you do with this project, particularly how you get the valve apart!!!
Jackie
I will keep you posted. I had not had the chance to tackle it yet but it will be soon.